Chapter 10

Leighton plopped down onto her bed and sank into the soft material, a sigh of relief escaping her lips. She had been home a week and was having a lot of mixed feelings about being there. On one hand, she was finally back in her own room with all of her belongings, which was definitely nice. On the other hand though, she kind of missed her roommates and Alicia, and definitely missed not having to listen to her mothers passive aggressive comments constantly.

It was almost time for the Christmas Eve dinner, and Leighton was far from excited. She'd done a decent job of avoiding her family at all cost, making excuses to leave the house, saying she was going to visit old friends. Which, technically isn't a lie if she counts her favorite stores as 'old friends.'

In all honesty, the blonde didn't feel much interest in catching up with her friends from high school. Though it's only been a few months, Leighton felt completely different than the girl she'd been when she first arrived at Essex, and she knew if they got together to catch up, she would feel fake the entire time. Plus, she wasn't prepared to answer questions about her love life to them all. College Leighton and High School Leighton felt like two completely different people, existing in two completely different worlds.

She didn't feel bad about it though, part of her even felt relief from losing the fake friends and gaining real ones at Essex- her roommates. She'd been texting with Kimberly, Bela, and Whitney everyday in their group chat, which mostly consisted of them all complaining about their families and Bela sending memes. At this particular moment, they were hounding Leighton for updates on Alicia, which Leighton just said they were still not using labels, keeping things casual.

Whitney:

Okay, but how casual are we talking?

Bela:

yeah!! and how long until you two are official again.

Kimberly:

Are you gonna bring her around more when you two start dating officially?

Leighton chuckled, shaking her head at the girls. They'd been incredibly invested in the relationship. Constantly teasing Leighton and pestering her for details

Leighton:

I swear, sometimes it's like you guys love her more than I do.

Bela:

SO WHAT I'M HEARING IS YOU LVOE HER?!?!?!

Whitney:

OMG YOU LOVE HER!! KNEW IT

Bela:

ALICIA AND LEIGHTON SITTING IN A TREE K-I-S-S-I-N-G FIRST COMES LOVE THEN COMES MARRIAGE THEN COMES THE BABY IN A BABY CARRIAGE

Leighton:

First off, I can't get her pregnant exactly so no

Second, I didn't say I loved her

Kimberly:

So you don't love her?

Leigthon bit her lip, staring down at the phone and debating what to say, quickly typing over a string of messages.

Leighton:

No.

Well-

IDK OK

Maybe?

Kinda?

Yes.

Bela: