An unexpected call

Y/N's POV

"The reason it was so hard for me was that...I lost you"

I stare at Zemo surprised. My mind is blank for a moment. He had such a hard time, sleepless nights and so much pain, because of me? Because he lost me?
Sure we are friends, and we were before the whole snap, but even so, I never imagined he was so fond of me.

"Because you lost me?"

"Yes," Zemo says slightly flustered as he avoids eye contact.

"But why because of me? If I may ask. I know we are good friends but- am I really that important to you?" I ask him wanting to understand him better.

"Well, the thing is Y/N that I personally have been-"

RING! RING!

I take out my phone giving Zemo an apologetic look as I see the name of the person calling me, and answer it.

"Bucky I'm in the middle of a very important session right now, can this wait at least 30 minutes?"
"No, it can't. Something happened." He explains, his voice in a serious tone I have never heard him use before.
"What happened? Is everything okay?" I ask him. Zemo looks at me concerned and I look back at him with the same expression.

"Y/N...Steve, Steve died."

My face drops, my breathing breaks apart as I start shaking.
This can't be happening, it can't be real, this has to be a misunderstanding.
"What?"
"He passed away in his sleep"
I cover my mouth as I put the phone down. Steve had been my best friend since he awoke from his 70-years nap, and never did I imagine that I'd lose him so soon.
I end the call and cover my face with my hands as I try to put myself together.

"Y/N, are you okay?"

And with that I breakdown into tears not being able to hold my emotions anymore. A person can only hide so much, and after so many things are thrown at you, the act you use to cover yourself will eventually break.

"I'm very sorry Zemo" I start explaining taking my things, "I'm going to have to end this session earlier...I'll umm, make it up to you on our next meeting"
"Y/n you haven't answered my question, are you okay-"
"Do I look okay Zemo?!"
He jumps back slightly, and he looks at me shocked. I realize I snapped at him and look down.
"I'm sorry I just, I need time, I-I don't know, I'm sorry"
I quickly walk out of the room not letting Zemo reply and practically run back to my apartment as I try to stop crying.

~~~

When I get to my apartment I pack my bags and ask Princess to get in contact with Okoye and ask if she can send me a jet so I can get to New York as soon as possible.
Okoye is very understanding of the situation and in 2 hours the jet arrives at the nearest private airport in Berlin.

I get on it and fly to New York, I cry most of the flight apart from when I fall asleep.
The only thing in my mind on my way there is Steve, the fact the last time I called with him was a week ago and he was telling me about the things we could do next time I went to visit.
But now that'll never happen, and Steve will become one of my many memories.

When the plane arrives I get of it as quickly as possible and at the exit of the airport, I see Bucky, with Steve's motorbike.
He opens his arms and I go to hug him tightly crying on his shoulder.

"I can't believe he's gone Bucky"

"I know, neither can I"

~~~

The funeral was completely private, and only some of the Avengers were able to attend, the weather was just as depressing as the day itself. Sam, Bucky, and I spoke in regards to Steve's passing, somehow I didn't break down during the speech but I'm glad I didn't, I wouldn't want everyone else to see me like that.