Chapter 5

"Hi! My name's Vivi, and this is Violet. How can we help you?" The two girls go through their routine.

"Oh, we just wanted some more details on the..." Mark's voice trails off as he sees the name on the sign-up sheet.

He widens his eyes. Y/n Kim.

Mark nudges his friend on the arm as Vivi, once again, explains the club's activities.

Jaemin lets out an 'Ow!' Before looking at the sheet himself. "Dude, that's-"

"I know," Mark cuts him off.

"...we specialize in all arts and music majors. What do you say?" Vivi asks them, grabbing their attention from the mystery neighbors name on the sheet.

Jaemin takes the pen from her hands and writes down Mark's and his name, making sure his friend's name is on there first. "We'll join."

Mark expresses in disbelief, pulling his friend away aggressively once he finishes. "Dude! What the hell!" He snaps.

Jaemin smiles widely, his eyes squinting. "You said you wanted to meet her." He implies.

"I never said that!" Mark shouts, turning some heads of the other students passing by.

"Well, you still want to meet her, don't you?" Jaemin wonders, pulling his hand away from Mark's grasp.

"I- Maybe. I don't know! But did you really have to sign me up for that club?" He scoffs.

"Come on, dude. It'll be fun!" Jaemin tries to convince him.

Mark ignores him, taking notice of the silver car, its windows rolling down. A black-haired figure comes into view. "Mark! Jaemin! Over here!"

The two walk over to where their friend Haechan was. Mark steps into the car, Jaemin following not long after. "Hey Haechan, Doyoung. Thanks for picking us up." He thanks them.

Doyoung gives them a nod and smile before turning back his attention to the steering wheel in front of him, starting the engine.

Haechan turns from his passenger seat up front, "Hey, kids. How was school today?" He mimics a mom, giving them an innocent smile.

Mark kicks his friend's seat, "Whatever, Haechan." He rolls his eyes.

"What's up with him?" Haechan looks over to where Jaemin sat beside Mark.

"Mark's still mad I signed him up for this club earlier," Jaemin explains to him, smirking.

Mark pays no attention to the two talking. His mind, more focused on something else; Debut day, less than a month away.

This was everything he's been training for. But the closer that date gets, the more he's been picking at his fingernails. His nerves were getting the best of him.

'The last thing I should be worried about is some stupid club. Better yet, some girl." He thought.

He watches out the stained car window as it passes elements of everything he's working for. A life, here. Something of himself, something of everything he's been spending his days on.

He's stayed here in Korea for years now. He loves it, of course. This was where he met his friends, his new tiny family. But the unfamiliar feeling still lingers, yearning for something he cannot get. The feeling of home. 'Not here, at least.'

WEDNESDAY NIGHT, MARCH 2 2016

-----------------------

The harsh wind that blew against my skin this morning is now the same wind conditioning my room as I open the door.

"Eating in tonight?" Taehyung asks me as he walks in.

"I didn't feel like walking all the way to the eating hall," I whine. It isn't a complete lie. Tonight is still my second night at college.

I thought the idea of meeting everyone, spending time in my new surroundings would rid the feelings of sorrow I've been having. Would rid of my nightmares, at least.

But all I've been getting is the same reminder that whatever I do, it might never feel like home here.

Taehyung lingers his gaze onto my ramen cup on the coffee table. He lets out a sigh, "Well, I'm about to head out to the eating hall. You sure you don't wanna come?" He offers me.

"I'm sure," I assure him, showing him a smile. It was in his nature to worry about me, but that is the last thing I want right now, people worrying over me, pitying me.

If I tell Taehyung or anyone about the troubles I've been having, living on my own, the independent woman I want them to see me as would be the last thing on their minds.

Taehyung takes his leave, and I am now left to whatever things I can distract myself with.

'Put on a movie. Work on the essay you've been putting off. Take a long bath.' The ideas list in my mind.

The acoustic guitar in the corner catches my eye, instead. I walk over to where it was and pick it up, dusting the light dust off.

The guitar I'm holding in my arms is the same one Namjoon gave me for my 13th birthday. Purple butterfly stickers were fading on the side, marking how long it's been since I've last had my fun with it.

I open the glass doors of my living room, revealing a tiny sitting area facing the pool and eating hall. Shades of orange lighted up where the grass met the rocks, complementing the night.

I take my seat, lifting my legs and resting them on the cushion in front of me.

As I feel the strings on my guitar, a familiar song comes to mind.

'....someday,

one day,

I will stop falling in love with you,

until I do,

I'll be thinking of you.'

And as the song echoes onto the patio of room 20. Mark allowed that song to slip into his mind every now and then. He will never forget the lyrics that came with the melody and the voice that came with the song.

-end of chapter 5