08

"do you really have to do this? can't you just stay here with me?" nami cried into his arms.

the girl dawned a ripped white dress, dirt smudging itself into the cloth, as well as her face. her partner, however, wore a military uniform, complete with the hat and boots.

heck, his hair was even shaved.

"i'm sorry darling, but i have to serve for our country. i would be damned if i don't help out, we're losing the war.." he said in response to her cries.

"promise me you'll come back safe?" nami asked as she shifted her vision to her lover's eyes.

the boy nodded his head in response but this did not soothe the girl.

"yang jungwon! use your words, please..." she spoke, more tears escaping her eyes.

jungwon wiped her tear stained cheeks before planting a soft kiss on her forehead.

"i promise nami." he responded, going in to peck her lips immediately after "and when i come back, i'll propose to you, okay?"

the girl cried more tears after hearing his response, which prompted her to bury her head deeper into his chest.

moments later, a jeep carrying more of the soldier recruits stopped in front of their humble home. jungwon quickly glanced at the vehicle before returning his full attention back to the crying girl in front of him. her pulled her tighter in his embrace.

"i need to go now. take care of yourself, okay?" receiving a nod from her, he continued "i proiose i'll come back safe."

nami retracted her head and peered up to her lover's face.

"stay safe, okay? i'll try to stay out of trouble as well." seeing as jungwon nodded his head in response, she dove back to get a final hug from him.

the jeep's honk prompted them to separate. jungwon placed on final kiss to nami's forehead before heading to the vehicle. as it sped up the road, he waved at nami, who furiously waved her hand to send him off.

once she was out of sight, he pulled out a picture of them from his pocket, the feeling of longing seeped through his veins. he already missed his darling.

'this gonna be a rough time..'

- timeskip -

it was a tough 8 months but they did it. they won. their enemies raised the white flag while they could take the pleasure of returning home triumphant.

jungwon was one of those excited to go back home, to his home. he quickly rode one of the jeeps that would first make a trip to their town. he was that excited.

unknown to him, a surprise waited back at home.

after traveling for a few hours, the vehicle stopped in front of jungwon's address to drop him off. his eyes widened at the sight in front of him.

of course, they were in a war so he suspected that there would be some damage to their sweet little house. but he didn't expect their house to be completely obliterated. if the remains were cleaned up, he would have mistaken this as a plot of land for sale,

where was their home? his home?

nami.

where was the girl? he needed to find her, he needed to know she saw safe. after all, she promised, right?

he kept his promise, she would have too..

in his peripheral vision, he saw their neighbor, and his good friend, sunghoon walk up to him.

"i'm sorry.." before jungwon could say anything, these were the words sunghoon blurted out.

though confused with the situation, he still asked his question "where's nami?"

"she's gone." the young lad couldn't wrap his mind around the possibility of losing his darling. he forced out a laugh, wishing this was some kind of prank his friend was pulling on him.

"gone shopping? gone running in the meadows? come on buddy, you need to be more specific.." jungwon joked, though his eyes betrayed him, pools of tears already forming.

hearing no response from the older, the boy became desperate.

"hyung! where is she?" jungwon asked, practically screaming, his tears trailing down his cheeks.

"she's dead jungwon." sunghoon replied sadly "two months after you left to help in the war, the enemies attacked our town. everything was burnt to a crisp. nami was inside the house while it caught fire and she couldn't find a way out. she died in the house."

forget jungwon's tears just streaming down his cheeks. he was sobbing. nami died and he wasn't able to protect her. he was miles away while she was probably screaming for help but he couldn't do anything to ease her pain.

the boy drowned himself in his tears and cries. everything around him slowly faded into black. soon, the darkness came to him and he passed out.

――― ๑ ――― ๑―――