Chapter 27

Genianna:
"$1,000 chips, come on!" I threw a stack of dollar bills that were tied with a rubber band on the craps table.

"Pass line bet. On the first roll 7 or 11 rolls to win, 2, 3, or 12 loses. If a number such as 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 10 rolls, the number must repeat before a seven to win." The boxperson went over the rules of the bet.

"Yes yes we get you. Pass me my chips"

Marcello was standing next to me with his brothers and Romero. A few other people who were in the game were also standing around the table.

The casino was full tonight. Every inch of it taken by everyone's two feet.

After many dice rolls and wins, half the casino came around the table to watch the final shoot.

"How much have I got so far?" I ask the boxperson

"$200,000 ma'am"

"Fucking hell, the rumours really are true" Marco laughs.

"This last shoot is a win or lose" I fisted the dice and smacked a kiss on my knuckles.
"Nobody lay a fucking finger on this table"

Everyone waited impatiently to see what would happen.

I took a deep breath and roll the dice across the table and waited.

The stickperson peered down at the dice
"Winner, four high, four high"

Cheers and claps erupted from all over the place and I jumped into Marcello's arms.

"That's half a million dollars Mrs Veratti" the boxperson collected the chips and clapped for me.

I stepped back from Marcello and gave a bow.

"I have to say, I'm impressed Morte" he handed me a glass of cream whiskey and led me away from the table.

"What can I say? I learned from the best" I smiled and shot him a wink.

He shook his head and chuckled as he took a drink of his scotch.

We sat down at the bar and the others joined us a few seconds later.

"You've got a crazy hand Antonelli" Matteo flashed me a grin "or should I say Veratti"

I rolled my eyes playfully and took a deep drink of my whiskey.

The idea of marrying Marcello didn't annoy me like it did before. Obviously I still didn't like it and would go back to my family in a heart beat if I had a choice.

But right now it didn't seem so bad.

That pang of guilt still stayed with me everywhere I went however.

His death.

My death.

The fact Marcello still doesn't know how I'm alive.

As if he could sense I was deep in my thoughts, Marcello touched my shoulder and gently pulled me back till I was facing him.

"You alright?"

I gave him an assuring smile "yeah I just zoned out a bit"