Chapter 6

Tiny chapter lol. I might not update for the next few days because I'm with family, so happy holidays to you all. <3

It was late at night when Simon returned to base.

The day was over, but his mind was still spinning from the late afternoon and evening. After watching the heroes make an alliance with the Mayor -- and practically throwing up when he heard the name the city gave him for the fourth time that week -- Sierra asked him to run downtown at the last minute. He had a break in his schedule, so he decided to go.

Once he was finished with errands, he found himself walking around, and when he got to the more secluded area where the heroes' facility was, he turned invisible just in case.

He stared at the building and swore that soon, he'd burn it down completely. As much as he liked the game he was now playing, he was excited to make their lives a living hell. He knew that them working with the Mayor in their new, fancy suits was to let him know that they were ready for him.

Perfect. He'd shred them apart in front of their beloved city one by one.

As he continued looking around, he saw it: A massive argument between the five of them. It turned out that Daija and Jamie had no idea that the other three were going to the Mayor.

The most interesting part happened when Justin talked down on Daija like she was just a week trainee. At the mockery, something within her broke free, and she nearly choked him to death.

"Okay," Austin started as he walked through the base beside him. "Outside of jokes and outside of bullshit, what's actually going on? Just so I know what to expect here."

"The heroes have a telekinetic on their team, and she's lethal," he explained. Also exciting. She threatened to kill me one moment then kissed me the next. Keeps me on my toes, y'know? "She and I are competing to take them down."

He raised a brow. "What if she's lying to you?"

"She's not," Simon shrugged.

"You're certain?"

"More than certain. If you listen closely, you could almost hear in her thoughts how much she hates Aniya. Kidnapped her and dragged her into this mess by using the "Chosen One" route. Also, she almost killed Justin a couple of hours ago."

Austin stopped walking and blinked in shock. "Oh?"

"Mhm. Did you know that telekinetics can kill someone with a single look and just enough focus?"

"No, I didn't. Holy shit." Now he looked a little concerned.

Simon thought about what he saw: Justin thrashing and trying to breathe, Daija's brutal stare as she choked the life from him, the other heroes' desperate screams to get her to stop.

Her small smile when Justin begged her. It had sent a small chill down Simon's spine.

"You said 'almost,'" Austin said. "Why did she stop?"

"Trying to figure out if it was because Jamie shook her out of it, or if it was because she was afraid." More than likely the latter.

"Afraid of what she can do?"

"No. Afraid of what she wants to do. She's in denial at the moment."

It was true. When he caught her in the park later, he could practically hear her thoughts rushing back and forth. Daija wanted to kill Justin whether she admitted it to herself or not, but one thing for certain, Simon was able to see right past her lies and excuses.

A part of her loved what she did; letting her power flow and instilling fear into the heroes. It seemed like she wanted to stick to her morals, but when power and rage come into play, it makes those lines so dangerously tempting to cross. He remembered how exhausting all of that back and forth was before he stopped trying.

"What do you think is going to happen now?" Austin asked.

"Not sure how long it's going to take, but she's a few bad days away from saying, "Fuck it," and taking out the heroes for good. I remember telling Luca that one day, it'll be Jamie when he's had enough, but it's been three years, and now, I can see that it's going to be her. I feel like she's going to end up killing at least two."

He nodded. "Honestly, I agree. So, what do you want to do? Get her to cross that line?"

Simon did some thinking, then said, "No. I'll enjoy our game, but I'll take my time. If she crosses that line, it will be because she wants to. If she kills them, it will be because she wants to. She has to learn for herself how good it feels to take what you want." She was so, so close today. A single look, and Justin was on the edge of death. I would've cheered if she finished it.

"And if she does cross that line?"

"Then I'll step in."

Austin paused and crossed his arms. "...Oh, I see. You want her here."

"Maybe," he grinned. "I could go the other route and just steal her from the heroes, but I'm not that bad of a man." I'd love another kiss right about now though.

"Alright," he scoffed, and there was a small hint of a teasing smile on his face. "Operation: "Simon convincing his crush to join the dark side" is underway."

Simon rolled his eyes. "Not a crush. A rival."

"A rival... who you kissed?"

"...Yes."

"Bull. Shit."

"Whatever," he said, "Don't call it a crush though. I don't need you and Luca giggling like twelve year-olds again."

That made Austin laugh. "You're out of your mind if you think we're letting this go."