13: Charlie Weasley

The tree was lit and lighting up the back corner of the room. Many presents were wrapped and placed under the tree. The amount of gifts seemed almost comical. The fire glowed brightly in front of me and crackled softly. I tightened my grip on my cup of hot cocoa and glanced at the door again. He should've been back by now.

Mrs. Weasley cleared her throat gently behind me and smiled softly when I looked back at her. "I'm sure he'll be back any minute dear," she said quietly as she sat next to me on the couch. I sighed heavily. "Yeah, I guess." Mrs. Weasley gave me a slightly pitying look but let it drop.

I stared into the fire for a long time. The only noise in the house was the sound of the fire crackling. I swear I only closed my eyes for a moment, but apparently I fell asleep. I say that because in that "moment," Mrs. Weasley had left and been replaced by her second-oldest child. I yawned and looked up at him.

Charlie noticed my movement and smiled softly. "Hey love," he murmured, running his hand gently through my hair. I smiled slightly. "Hey Char." 

"How're you feeling?" he asked softly, eyes flickering briefly to where my hand rested on my stomach. My smile grew. "Better." A relieved smile slid onto his face. "Good. I was really worried for a minute there."

I shook my head. "You shouldn't have been." Charlie gave me a skeptical look and I rolled my eyes. "Love, your mum said I was fine. She's been through this several times. She would know." He chuckled softly and sighed. "Yeah, you're right." I grinned triumphantly only to scowl when he added, "But I was also right to check just in case."

I sighed and begrudgingly admitted, "Yeah, you were." He grinned smugly and put his arm around my shoulders. I snuggled into his side and sighed contently. The baby kicked sharply and I gasped slightly.

"What? What's wrong?" Charlie asked, immediately taking in my appearance. I had pressed my hand against my stomach where the baby had kicked and squeezed my eyes shut. Though the kicks are mostly pleasant and adorable, sometimes they really hurt (like this one). 

"Nothing, love. The baby just kicked is all," I replied, groaning a little when he/she kicked again. Charlie frowned slightly. "I'm sorry love. Is there anything I can do?" I laughed humourlessly. "No, Charlie, it's fine. It's just a part of this journey, I'm afraid." His frown deepened. The baby kicked lightly this time and I smiled tiredly.

"Give me your hand," I murmured, watching as he looked at me skeptically. "Why?"

"Just do it, Charlie!" I whisper-shouted, laughing when he hurriedly held his hand out in front of me. I took it and placed it over where our child had been kicking. He still looked very skeptical but his face glazed over when the baby kicked again. 

"Was that...?" he asked, trailing off as he looked at me for confirmation. I nodded and smiled as he turned to look at my stomach adoringly. "Wow," he breathed. My heart melted at the look on his face. Tears were starting to form in his eyes and now it's my turn to be worried. "Charlie? Are you okay?" 

He looked up and met my eyes with an intensity that I'd never really seen before. He paused, then said, "I never thought I would have a child." I frowned and stared at him. "What do you mean?" I took his hands in mine and squeezed them comfortingly. His gaze dropped from mine and he gave a shy half-smile.

"I mean that I never thought I'd find someone that I loved so much I would build a family with them. I didn't think there was anyone else in this world that would care about my work the same way that I do," he replied, meeting my eyes briefly before looking away again. I smiled and let out a breath of relief.

"I never thought I'd have a family with anyone either. I always cared for dragons more than people," I admitted, joining in his laughter. "But then I met you and you changed my whole perspective." Charlie smiled sweetly. "I love you." I smiled. "I love you too. Now let's sleep - I'm exhausted."

**

Sorry this sucks and is so short. I've had little to no motivation to do anything lately :/