Chapter 20: The Prince and The Orphan

*Unedited

*Mature 

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

"𝕿𝖍𝖆𝖓𝖐 the Saints he's gone," my twin says. "I was concerned that if I was forced to spend another minute with both of you, I may vomit on my kefta."

"We aren't that bad," I chuckle.

Alina groans, "Yes you are."

"Most of it is an act, Alina. The stronger our alliance, the better it will be for all of us."

"Everything in public may be an act but even so, that kiss wasn't a necessity," my sister continues. "And when did you guys do that already?"

"We kissed once in his tent, but we're just friends," I explain with a lazy wave of my hand. "Nikolai probably got carried away with his improvising."

"He never improvises," Alina insists. "Everything he does is calculated. He changes personalities the way other people change hats. It's creepy. Doesn't it bother you that he's never just himself?"

"He's a prince, Alina. He can't afford to be himself," I explain. "He's not creepy either. Do you really think that?"

"Occasionally," she admits.

I sigh, "Look, he's a younger son, most likely a bastard, and has been away from court for almost seven years. He's going to do everything he can to strengthen his chances for the throne, and if he needs to make moon eyes at me then I'll let him do it."

She goggles at me. Genya had hinted that there are rumors about Nikolai's parentage, so I assumed that Alina knew.

I laugh, "You're never going to survive at court if you don't learn to hide what you're thinking a bit better. You look like you just sat in a bowl of cold porridge. Close your mouth."

My sister shuts her mouth with a snap and tries to school her features into a pleasant expression, which makes me laugh harder, "Now you look like you've had too much wine."

Apparently, she gives up, instead chooses to slouch back against the seat, "Did he tell you all of this?"

I nod, "He's heard the whispers since he was a child. Don't repeat it outside of this coach though- he will just deny it if you do."

"What else did he say to you?"

I chuckle, "Pretty much the same thing I told you. Along with something like 'I couldn't care less whether or not I have Lantsov blood.' He even joked that given all the royal inbreeding, being a bastard was probably a point in his favor."

She shakes her head, "It's so hard for me to know what to take seriously when it comes to Nikolai. How do you know?"

"I just do."

"That's so helpful," Alina grumbles. "If you know so much about him then do you know why the crown is so important to him? Why would he go through all of this?"

I tilt my head, "Well he does care about this country but I think that he also enjoys fixing things. We've both seen how he loves working on his schematics."

"Do you think his brother will step aside?"

"Nikolai hopes so. Says that he knows the First Army will follow him, and that he doesn't have the stomach for civil war," I explain. "Apparently, Vasily inherited their father's aversion to hard work. Nikolai believes that once he realizes what it takes to run a country, he won't be able to run from the capital fast enough."