[ 11 ]

" immortality— a fate worse than death

" immortality— a fate worse than death. "

TRIGGER WARNING: BLOOD, DEATH, INJURY

Rift grabbed Ash by his collar and teleported to Rouge, who was standing in front of Thor, Natasha, and Tony

Rift grabbed Ash by his collar and teleported to Rouge, who was standing in front of Thor, Natasha, and Tony. He growled and narrowed his eyes, dropping Ash onto the floor violently.

"Ash!" Thor exclaimed, his face was contorted in worry and he looked up to glare at Lady Rouge.

The sight of Ash's body was unbearable, he was covered in scars and his own blood. When they saw the red substance coating Rift's hands, they knew who was behind it.

"Rouge! Hand him over." Tony demanded.

"Ah! The big prodigy, shouldn't you be working on your masterpieces?" She smirked.

"Hand him over! I won't ask again." Tony hissed.

"What is with all this newfound care? You never loved him anyway." Lady Rouge chuckled.

Tony hesitated in his movements and she smirked evilly.

"That's right, I know. Every word, every sneer. How you resented your little brother for something he could not control. You never knew, did you?" She laughed.

"Knew what?" Natasha questioned, her eyes glaring daggers.

"Why tell you when I can show you." Rouge smirked.

Her hands expertly wove green mist and suddenly an image appeared in front of them, a memory of years ago. It was a memory from 1980. A little boy no older than five years old was being held tightly by a woman, they were both on a couch and a man was kneeling in front of the boy.

"I promise I'll find a way to help you, Ashton. Everything will be okay." He said.

The boy sobbed, "It feels like I'm being torn apart!" He exclaimed.

Another boy appeared at the door, he looked on in concern but couldn't see the other boy's face.

"What's going on?" He asked timidly.

"Anthony, go back to bed." The man said, getting up and walking over to him.

Rouge froze the illusion there and walked behind the boy, she smirked evilly.

"That's the beginning of the resentment, isn't it? The first time you were sent away by your father, Stark. You were so blinded, your father was trying to keep both his sons safe by keeping his firstborn as far as possible from his secondborn." She analysed.

They were stunned into silence and turned their attention to Tony, who was frozen. She chuckled and green pulsed around her hands as she shifted the scene.

"Want to know why?" She asked.

There was no response and the memory changed to one where a six year old Ash was screaming his lungs out, sobbing hysterically.

"It won't stop! I can't stop feeling and can't stop seeing them!" He cried.

He let out another scream and what looked like a ripple erupted from him. Lady Rouge froze it and whistled.

"His powers were so out of control, so wild, so powerful. Empaths always have been, especially as children." She mused.

"How do you know this?" Tony growled.

"Now, now, a witch never reveals her tricks." Rouge chuckled.

She cuffed Ash's hands together and forced him onto his knees with her powers.

"I'm going to take pleasure in what I'm about to do." She smirked.

Rouge took Rift's knife from his belt and twirled the blade with her powers, looking to her associate, she jerked her chin as if to give an unspoken order.

"Let him go!" Thor yelled, storming forward with Mjolnir at the ready.

Suddenly, the blade was pressed to Ash's throat, Thor stopped and Rift moved forward and broke his arm, he screamed and his eyes travelled to the trio in front of them. Quick footsteps approached, the owners being Steve and Clint, who was holding the container Nicotine was inhabiting. Ash's breath hitched and a familiar feeling swirled in his chest, love.

"I'm going to enjoy this... But it's a shame that he stopped singing." Lady Rouge said.

Tears slipped from Ash's eyes and he looked at the others in pure terror. Rift gripped his hair and pulled his head up, Thor's eyes widened and Ash noticed he was crying.

Rouge flicked her hand and the blade swiped violently. Everything went in slow motion, blood splattered across Ash's neck, the substance coating him and his hair was let go. He looked at the group and his hands were released as he fell to the floor in a bloody heap. Lady Rouge and Rift stepped back, leaving Thor to scramble to Ash in tears, he dropped to his knees and took him in his arms.

"No, no, no, no... Ash, don't do this to me." Thor cried, getting blood on his hands, but he didn't care.

Natasha never cried, but now, no matter how hard she tried not to, she sobbed. She heard Clint mutter an 'Oh God' as he turned away, holding his head with one hand. Steve couldn't tear his eyes away while Tony was just silent, he made no movements, he was frozen solid. Ash's eyes drifted to Thor's face, his hand graced his cheek and his lips quivered in an aching grin. Thor sobbed and he watched the life drain from his eyes and his hand drop, his head leaning back. He was dead. There was complete silence except from the sounds of Thor's sobs echoing throughout the dull corridor.

Slow clapping ensued, Lady Rouge laughed and sighed, turning around.

"He knows how to put on a performance." She said.

Thor gritted his teeth and called Mjolnir but suddenly, there was a gasp and then a cough and Ash moved away from him. He started to pull himself up and Rouge, still turned, chuckled.

"Ah, he's back." She said smugly.

Natasha and Thor had rushed to Ash's sides and helped him onto his knees. But they looked at him in shock when she saw his eyes were glowing blue. Rouge balled her fists and felt pure unadulterated fear. Rift quickly teleported and dropped from the ceiling, slamming Ash into the floor, in a rapid movement, he plunged the sword he'd used into his chest. He teleported again, wrestling the container holding Nicotine from Clint's hands and disappeared, reappearing near Lady Rouge. He pressed a button and slammed it into the floor, the glass shattering.

"That's gonna leave a mark." Rift said.

Ash's eyes widened, feeling Nicotine dying quickly. His lip quivered and he lost control, a blast of emotion exploded and rendered everyone imobile. As he grew more unstable, Ash muttered the song under his breath, Rift gripped Rouge's arm and teleported them away. Natasha had used herself to transfer Nicotine to Ash and as soon as he had been reunited with the symbiote, he was rendered unconscious. There was silence and they could only stare at Ash.