The Wonderful Bouquet: Preview

CHAPTER ONE: The work

There was a knock on the door.

Elizabeth hated that knock on the door.

That knock meant that it was time for William to wake up and prepare for work.

Every man had to work, so it was not something only she had to suffer through. But the hard part was that he was at home. It sounded easier, did it not? But twas anything but true. Knowing you husband was in the house, only a few doors away, but not being allowed to enter the room and ask for his attention, felt like torture.

William had stopped travelling for his work, and got the offer to write a book for the theatre play Pondside. She had worked there voluntary, and that was how they met again – after seven years of a silent fight.

They had had their differences, and it had been difficult to overcome them. But in the end, their love seemed stronger than the hate they had for each other. They would blame each other for lying and leaving, but in the end, they easily forgave each other and admitted their love.

After half a year, they married, and not much later, they got their first child – Francis. After that happy moment, things had gone downhill. They had wanted more than once child, but no matter how much they tried, Elizabeth would not get pregnant again.

They had gone from doctor to doctor, asking them for help, wondering if they would ever be able to have more than one child. They were desperate times, and it had tested their relationship. But mayhap it was not as big of a challenge as their seven year break. And just like that fight, they had made it through.

And eventually, after almost five years, their prayers had been heard and Elizabeth could tell her husband the joyous news that she was with child again. Nine months later, a healthy baby boy was born and named Henry. And two years later, there was Evan. And another two year later, Lewis was born.

People had often jested about the fact that Elizabeth could only carry boys. And mayhap that was why she had had five years of no children. The universe had wanted her to have a daughter, while she could not carry those.

Even though she was the only woman in the house now, she was not bothered by it. She loved her husband as much as each one of her sons, and she would not trade anyone for a girl.

William turned in the bed and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. He planted his lips on her forehead.

"Good morning, darling," his low, sleepy voice said.

She smiled at the sound of it. Twas amazing to hear that voice, for it meant she got to sleep next to her husband. And when she woke up, she could see and hear him right away. That knowledge was amazing.

"Good morning," she responded, and she pulled his head closer so that she could kiss him. He gladly accepted her touch and opened his mouth to invite in her tongue inside. His kiss still felt like a miracle. Her body heated up because of the hand that moved over her hips.

Before she knew it, William had turned her to her back and came to lay on top of her. He gave her a few more kisses on her lips, before he trailed down her cheeks to her neck, to end up pushing her night gown away and kissing her shoulders.

"I should not work today," he said against her bare skin. Elizabeth could not respond, for the feeling of her husband's lips on her breasts was too amazing to bring out anything else than a moan. As his hands moved over her belly, he gathered the fabric in his hands and pulled it up.

"You should work," she whispered in an first – and last – attempt to bring them both back to reality.

"I am working on you," he told her, before he captured her next words in his mouth by kissing her lips. And o, how it worked! Her resolve disappeared with every flutter of butterflies in her belly. The touch of his lips, and every moan he let out, made her feel warm everywhere, and she forgot where she was or what she ought to do today. She was here, with her husband, and that was all that mattered.