CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO: Brompton

Together with Jim and Lee, Eli was sitting on a bench near the pub. He had walked up to his brothers and ordered them to come with him. They had been reluctant at first, but when Eli said they might have to fight, they gladly joined.

The three Byron sons were waiting for the right man to exit the door of the pub. They had seen him enter when their carriage arrived, but they did not want to make a big spectacle inside the building. So they were to wait for him to exit so that they could have their talk.

It might even be better if he left the pub being drunk, for that would be easier to get the truth and beat him up.

True, Eli did not need the truth anymore. Mary had told him everything he needed to know. But he still wanted to hear the words out of the man's mouth. And if he was not pleased, he would not beat him up. He had promised Mary he would not touch him. So that was where Jim and Lee came into play.

And finally, the door opened and the right man walked out. He did not falter in his steps, but he also did not see the angry man waiting for him. So Eli called for him.

"Arthur!"

The man turned around and found who had called him. Twas only now that Eli realized that the smile Arthur had been carrying, was a false one. It was a pretend smile that made everyone instantly like him. But it did not work on Eli anymore.

Arthur must not have realized the name Eli had used, for he walked to him with a smile on his face, pretending to be friends.

"Eli," he said, "I was already wondering why you were not in the pub."

"You would not be so surprised if you knew what I know," Eli said with an angry voice. Then he added: "Arthur."

The man's eyes suddenly widened, shock was obvious on his face. But then – unlike anything Eli had expected – Arthur started laughing. A low rumbling escaped the man's throat while he threw his head back.

"So she finally told you," Arthur concluded. "Are you hurt now, by my betrayal?"

Eli shook his head. "She had told me before. Twas only me who did not see the likeness between the two of you."

"Ah, so you are the dumb one."

Eli shrugged. "Tis all a matter of how you look at it."

"Oy," Lee suddenly shouted from behind Eli. "You do not get to insult our brother like that!"

"Eli, is this the moment we may beat him?" Jim asked.

Eli gave them a smile. "Not yet, brothers."

Arthur scoffed loudly. "You want to frighten me with those two children?"

Jim and Lee were twenty years old, hardly what one would call children. But seeing Arthur was probably about thirty-five, they were young to fight him indeed. But still...

"Do not underestimate two young adults," Eli told Arthur. "But no, they are not here to frighten you. They are here because I promised Mary I would not touch you. She did not say anything about my brothers."

"Do you want them to have the same reputation you have? One of ladies, drinking and fighting?"

"Oy," Lee shouted again. "We are responsible for our reputation. You do not have a say in it."

"Brothers," Eli sighed, suddenly regretting taking them along. They understood his word and remained quiet while he turned his attention back to Arthur.

"I trust Mary enough to know that what she said about you is the truth. Yet I want to hear it from your mouth."

Arthur frowned. "You want to hear from my mouth how my family banished me when I was only nineteen years old? How they were happier when I was not there? How they could live their lives like nothing was wrong while I had to fight and steal just to stay alive?"