記憶

winter's memories.

(—the day they met her)

Birds chirped and the cool morning air made the young girl shiver slightly as she edged even further behind the young Jonin that was escorting her to the Academy. She was terrified senseless seeing how first she was going to be younger than everyone and also the fact that she was new. 

The purple-haired teenager smiled down at the young girl, "You'll be fine, Iruka is a good teacher plus I'm sure you'll make loads of friends." 

The little girl looked up at her with wide turquoise eyes, "You think so?" Her voice was soft as she looked at the teen. 

"For sure!" The two walked in a comfortable silence until they arrived at the doors to her new class. The little girl shook slightly, nervous to go in. The Jonin placed a hand on her shoulder, crouching down next to her, "Hey listen, Winter right?" The little girl nods, her long black hair shining in the light. "You'll do great, the Hokage believes in you, the Chunin that tested you believe in you, and I believe in you. So go in there and kick ass kid!"

The Jonin gives her a closed eye smile before standing up and walking away waving to Winter. "By the way name's Inazuma, see ya after class kid." 

"B-Bye." The little girl calls after her before taking a shaky breath and softly knocking on the door. After a moment a friendly looking Chunin with a scar going across his nose opened the door, "Hello you must be Winter! It's nice to meet you my name's Iruka and I'm going to be your substitute Sensei until they find someone else." 

She gave him a timid smile, "H-Hello Iruka-Sensei." She follows him into the noisy classroom hiding behind him. Once they stand at the front of the room he clears his throat making the students quiet down before paying attention. "We have a new student joining today and I want you all to make her feel welcome. Winter, would you like to say anything?"

The girl peeks out at all the curious faces and manages a small, "Hello." Immediately some of the students start talking and Winter looks down at the ground, fidgeting. 

"Alright Winter, well why don't you go sit next to the twins?" He points to a pair of identical twin boys with fiery red hair and deep blue eyes. She quickly walks over to the empty seat sitting down quietly, her hair acting as a curtain between her and the two boys sitting on either side of her. Simultaneously they brush back her hair tucking it behind her ears before speaking in sync, "Hello my name is Ryu." the one on the left said, 

"And my name is Riku." Added the one on the right.

Together they spoke, "And we are the Riau brothers, pranksters extraordinaire tricking people with our ninja skills since two years ago."

Winter smiled, letting out a breathy, "Hi." 

Ryu looks at her, "Geez you sure are shy aren't you?" 

She blushes, "I guess... I just don't know anyone in the village." 

Riku slings his arm across her shoulders, "Well now you do, how does this sound. After class, you join my brother and I at this great restaurant called Suki's." 

She slowly nods her head, "Okay." 

The rest of the class she spends alternating between taking notes and listening to the twins talk about different places in Konoha they think she'd enjoy. When the bell rings Iruka snaps his book close and tells them, "Next time we will be doing Taijutsu spars, so be sure to train okay?" Winter stands up handing in her notes to get the credit and walks out. 

Soon the twins catch up to her, each one resting one of their elbows on her shoulders. 

"You ready—" 

"—to go?" They ask her and she nods her head before remembering something. 

"Oh! I-I have to wait for Inazuma and tell her where I'm going first."

"No need Winter I'm right here." Inazuma appears in a flash of lightning, literally. A bolt of lightning hits the ground before dispersing leaving behind the Jonin. "You guys are headed to Suki's right?" The twins nodded, "Yeah." 

Inazuma starts walking with them down the busy streets, "I'll treat you guys to an early dinner since you welcome Winter here so kindly." 

Ryu, who Winter realized had a piercing in his left ear fist pumped the air, "Alright free food!" 

Winter giggled at his enthusiasm and Riku leaned down really close to her face, "You're cute when you giggle." She blushes and starts to stammer making the others laugh. Soon they came to a quaint looking restaurant that had a homey feel to it. 

"Ah Ryu and Riku, I see you brought friends. Take a seat and I'll be right with you." A young woman with white hair and gray eyes smiled kindly at them. They sat in a corner booth, Winter in between the twins. They made her try their favorite sushi, Ebi Tempura Bank, and she loved it as well. They chatted for a while before Inazuma told them she had to go, ruffling their hair as she left.

For the rest of the day, the twins showed her around and she found herself laughing and smiling with them. 

It was dark when they finally realized the time, 

"Oh, we are—" 

"—so sorry Winter." They said before Ryu spoke up. "We'll walk you home so we can explain to your parent why you were so late." 

Sadness flashed in her eyes and she shook her head, "It's okay... I don't have parents anymore." 

Understanding filled their eyes and the two hugged her as she silently cried when the reality hit her, "It's okay we don't either." Riku stated softly. 

"C-can, can we be each other's family?" Winter asked her voice slightly muffled. 

The twins looked at each other, already knowing their answer, "Of course."

And thus that night underneath the inky black night sky an inseparable bond was formed between three orphans that ran deeper than anyone could fathom, something that would be both cherished and despised later on.