XII

twelve

(—taiketi!)

The wolf came to a screeching halt in front of the tower and kneeled down so she could get off easier. She patted Tempest's shoulder before he disappeared. She cautiously opened the door, peering into the darkness. When she comes across a room she stares at the long paragraph on the wall. Taking out the scrolls she opened them, throwing them to the side and unsheathing her katanas.

The smoke cleared to reveal Inazuma who looked worried at her student's state, "Winter what happened?" 

She sighed putting her katanas away, "You know the saying cats have nine lives? Well apparently so do snakes." 

Understanding crossed Inazuma's face, "I'll let the Hokage know. Since you still have two days you can just stay in the tower." She nods and walked out waving goodbye to Inazuma. In a main room of the tower, she finds the Sand Siblings off to the side, one of the rookie teams sitting on the couch, and Neji's team walking in from another direction. Other teams were grouped off trying not to talk to the others. Walking in confidently she heard murmurs about where her team was.

"WINTER!!!" In stormed a very pissed of Anko making some of the others cower slightly. "Care to explain why there is a 20-foot CRATER in the middle of the forest?!" Winter rubbed the back of her neck, sighing tiredly, "Like I told Ina-sensei, not only do cats have nine lives but apparently snakes do also." 

Anko looked at her with narrowed eyes before sighing heavily, "Fine I won't charge you for the damage... this time."

Anko walks out glaring at some of the Genin before slamming the door shut. Winter walked past the curious Genin and up the metal stairs finding an unoccupied room. Taking off her ruined cloak she changes into a new outfit before putting on a new cloak as well. Laying down on the worn mattress she closes her eyes, wishing for sleep to consume her.

***

Two days later, Winter lined up with the other Genin. She sighed as she listened to Hayate explain the preliminary rounds, before watching them choose the first pair. Stalking up the stairs, she leaned against a metal wall watching Sasuke as he fought. The other matches went by relatively quickly, the victors usually clear the moment the match was chosen. The only exception was Naruto's fight, even Winter was surprised which was something that didn't happen often. The screen flickered, two names popping up.

Hotaru Neikan

vs.

Winter

The Mist Genin vaulted over the railing, landing with no sound. He grinned showing off sharp canine teeth as Winter walked down calmly. He was about 5.8, with dark navy blue hair and obsidian eyes. His Hi-Ate was tied around his forearm as his eyes narrowed. "I've waited a long time for this." He tells her lowly settling into a fighting stance, Winter doing the same. 

"Ready?" Hayte glances between the two before shouting, "Go!"

Hotaru jumps forward aiming several punches at Winter, all of which she blocks. Gritting her teeth, she does a roundhouse kick only to be stopped by his hand as he grips her ankle. Snarling slightly the two Genin engage in a taijutsu battle, neither gaining an upper hand. The two skid apart glaring fiercely at each other. Suddenly Hotaru smirks and Winter's eyes widen as the shadows start moving off the wall. Jumping high she curses when a tendril of darkness grips her ankle and slams her into a wall. Under the cover of darkness,handsigns she makeshand signs, spitting out some blood.