Chapter Twenty-Three ~ Smoke and Snow

~Chapter Twenty-Three~

Silence followed after that statement, the ninja growing wary as the fog thickens even more.They continues to travel for several hours, the darkness making it hard to tell what time of day it was. It happens so quickly that no one can really react as the giant lion made out of fog with red eyes rears up behind them, crashing down on top of Sakura. The pink haired girl releases a high pitched scream, her eyes rolling into the back of her head as the lion attacks her. Winter lunges forward slicing through the lion with her katanas. The animal roars and the fog simply reforms as it turns its attention towards Winter.

Sakura's forearms is crushed and covered in blood, the genin passed out. The lion looks down at the girl beneath it and licks it maw, its teeth shining in the darkness. Winter holds out her hand and a flash of lightning hits the creature, the lion whimpering before disappearing. Snarls can be heard as more red eyes glow in the darkness, the rest of the lions stalking around the group. Winter scoops up Sakura, "Run!" The group sprints away from the fog creatures who give chase, their roars sending chills down their spines.

The black mist makes it hard to see where they're going making Winter, Naruto, and Sasuke tripping several times. Kakashi sprints ahead with Misaki in his arms, the two the first ones out of the mountain as they burst out of the mist covered place. Sasuke is next panting heavily, Naruto seconds behind him. "Sasu-baka, catch!" Winter yells from inside the mist and the still unconscious body of Sakura flies out. Sasuke easily catches the girl, his attention turning to her bloody arm.

There's flashes of lightning from in the mist before Winter stumbles out, the bottom of her cloak torn. A lion leaps towards her but slams against an invisible barrier. The pride of animals snarl and stalk along the barrier watching the ninja catch their breath. Kakashi frowns at Winter, "You shouldn't have thrown your teammate like that." He tells her in a disappointed tone. Her eyes widen in disbelief, "I saved her life!"

He shakes his head and turns his attention to the next mountain up ahead. It was a stark white, the exact opposite from the mountain they had just left. The snow was crisp and clear, shining brightly in the faint light falling onto the mountain. "Which mountain is that?" Naruto asks her softly. "The Ni no Kako Yama. The Second Mountain, the Mountain of the Past." She mutters kneeling down next to Sakura and wrapping her mangled forearm as best as she can. "Sasuke do you mind carrying her for a little bit?"

The raven haired boy shakes his head and scoops the pinkette up, following their Sensei to the mountain. The moment they stepped onto the base a cold wind whipped around them, snow flakes falling from the sky. Misaki is walking now, an arm wrapped around Kakashi's as she presses tightly against him shivering exaggeratedly. Kakashi doesn't seem to mind making Winter narrow her eye at the pair.

There was something she knew she was forgetting about Misaki, but for some reason she just couldn't remember. She bites the inside of her cheek in frustration as they get higher up. The altitude makes it harder for the others to break, the coldness making their breath visible. This mountain was higher and steeper than the first one and the snow was making it harder to climb. Soon the others started to shiver a little feeling cold and Winter sighs softly, her eye looking up at the grey sky. The snow was starting to come down heavier and eventually it would turn into a blizzard. Luckily Kakashi hadn't lost all of his sense and found a cave in the mountain side for them to rest in.

Winter was forced to go get wood to start a fire and she barely made it back before the storm broke, the snow falling so heavily that all they could see was white at the cave entrance. They got the fire started, all of them huddled around the fire. Sakura woke up and Winter helped her eat her dinner, her forearm useless right now.

The pink haired girl was shivering violently, her face pale from blood loss. Standing up Winter looked at the woodpile that was quickly disappearing as the storm raged on. "We won't last long..." She mutters pulling her hood over her head walking towards the entrance. "If I don't return by the time the storm breaks... it means I'm dead." She announces before walking out into the raging blizzard.

She staggered in the harsh wind, her eye a slit as struggles through the storm. She keeps her cloak wrapped securely around her as she walks at a snails pace. She is about to give up when she runs into a tree. Wincing and feeling blood run down the side of her face Winter quickly gathers as much wood as she can carry before making the seemingly never ending journey back to the cave.

By the time she stumbles into the cave the left half of her face is soaked with blood and she drops the pile of wood down. "Winter!" Surprisingly it's Sakura who comes and helps her bandage the side of her head, Naruto sitting by Misaki and not even glancing up at her. Sasuke notices her looking at the blonde and mutters, "She asked him to go sit by her a couple seconds after you left and he hasn't moved since then."

Winter frowns worriedly and sits down by the other two who had set up their sleeping bags a little ways away from the others sitting by the fire. "Sakura, Sasuke something isn't right about that woman. Don't go near her alone." She mutters before lying down, closing her eyes.

***

The storm broke sometime while they were asleep and the group set out after eating a meager breakfast. Sakura was shivering violently as they walked, her face still relatively pale. Winter frowned slightly before sighing. Taking off her cloak she strode forward, wrapping it around the girl's shoulders.

Sakura jumped slightly when the warm fabric was placed on her and looks at Winter worriedly who was wearing a tanktop. "Won't you be cold?" The black haired girl keeps on walking, "Your health is more important than mine." She replies shortly her eyes darting around the pristine white snow. Naruto had been sticking close to Kakashi and Misaki the entire time making the other three Genin frown slightly whenever they glanced at them.

A light breeze ran over the snow and a soft blue light shone making the group tense up. Tiny flecks of blue fell from the sky reminding them briefly of glitter. Winter's eyes widened, "Don't let that touch your bare skin!" Sakura had it easy, to just pull up the hood of the cloak with her arms tucked inside. The others however, weren't nearly as forentue.

As soon as the glitter like substance touched their skin, they would collapse to the ground. Misaki was first, Naruto soon following. Kakashi fared a little better than the two but soon fell as well. Finally it was just Sasuke and Winter trying to keep it off their skin. Winter was send gusts of wind up to keep it from touching her and was also looking around for shelter. However at that moment Sasuke collapsed as well. Losing her focus for a second Winter winced and stumbled as the blue substance touched her skin.

Her eye glazed over and she stumbled, "S... Sakura... " Her words slurred together slightly as she talked, "Keep... us... safe." Winter hit the snow hard, her black hair falling spreading around her making a splash of blackness against the pure, bright color. Her vision blurred and she blinked sluggishly before succumbing to the darkness.

I've been updating so much lately and I'm so proud of myself :) Anyways recently I started driving (even though I've had my permit for a couple weeks) and holy shit, driving is so scary... I might do a double update today or just update a chapter for this story and my Akatsuki fanfic tomorrow instead. It depends on how lazy i feel...