Chapter 3- comfortable

"Oh come on, you definitely cheated!" Hunter said as he had just been beaten at another game of grudgby.

"No such thing in this house, bird boy!" Eda said, proudly rolling the ball across her shoulders. "Besides, it's getting dark, we should head inside. Play a different game?"

The blonde huffed at the nickname. "Fine. Hexes Hold'em?" He suggested.

"No." Luz and King said sternly, in unison.
When Hunter raised a brow in confusion, Luz responded, "Let's just say that game is banned from the owl house for good reason," She chuckled awkwardly as Hunter shrugged.

The group headed inside, Hunter hanging behind a moment. Flapjack landed on his shoulder and chirped. "I don't know. It's just," He hesitated, "Different.There's hardly any rules, they don't expect perfection. I don't get it. They're criminals, I'm a criminal now, but they seem so. . . happy. It's weird, but I feel good here. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm happy."

The bird chirped in response.

Hunter sighed, smiling softly. "Maybe you're right." He walked inside and Luz gestured for him to sit on the couch next to her. He complied, sitting stiffly on the other side of the couch.

"You know you don't have to be so stiff. Make yourself comfortable," She said.

Hunter nodded and leaned back on the couch, still a bit stiff.

Luz smiled and shook her head. "Anyway, do you wanna watch some crystal ball with me? Eda's making dinner tonight so it'll probably be a while," She chuckled. "What kind of stuff do you like to watch? Do you have a favorite show?"

Hunter looked to the side, his face a light pink. He did have a favorite show, but people normally made fun of him for it. "I don't really watch anything," he lied.

Luz raised an eyebrow and smiled. "Oh come on, you can tell me, I won't judge!"

Hunter squinted in disbelief for a second, but sighed, giving in. "I like to watch cartoons. Like Steven universe," He muttered.

Luz's eyes lit up. "Oh my titan, you like cartoons?! I love cartoons!"

"Wait, really?"

"Uh, yeah! Steven Universe is one of my favorites!" She gasped, grabbing him by the shoulders. "Do you know what this means?"

Hunter looked at her eyes wide. "Um, no. what?"

"We have something in common!" she teased. "This is great! We can watch cartoons together!"

"Yeah. that sounds good actually," Hunter smiled. He sat back, comfortably this time, causing Luz to smile as she played the show.

-----------------------------------------------------------

hey everyone, I'm back!

I'd like to apologies for the long hold, life's been pretty stressful lately. I was planning to get this chapter out on Christmas, but that didn't happen, so here's my late christmas gift to you all. trans hunter is gonna be coming in next chapter so yay. also it might actually be a bit before Ed comes in cause i'm really trying to focus mainly on Hunter with this. this is gonna be some SLOWburn

anyway, i hope you enjoyed this chapter, and i will try to get more on top of updates.

until next time, guys gals and nonbinary pals