underground city *chapter one*

She never traveled the streets alone

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

She never traveled the streets alone. Not unless she was with Levi. He always told her whoever killed her parents would be after her in a heartbeat. She wasn't sure why. She's no one special, to her, at least. So who could be after her?

But she hid her face well behind the large cloak wrapped around her as she walked closely beside Levi, walking past a few civilians and a merchant selling cheap garments.

"Stay close, Cerah.. can't have you getting lost out here." Levi mumbled, the girl nodding and she gently clutched his own cloak, the man taking notice and looked down. Cerah went to let go, only for Levi to look back forward and stating quietly, "You can hold it as long as you don't let it go."

This made Cerah smile softly and she clutched his cloak a bit tighter as soon as the crowd began to slowly increase. For a place where not a lot of money was going around, there were a lot of people in the market area. Some were merchants, some were theives, others were gangsters, like Levi. Though Cerah couldn't call him one. To her, he was more of a vigilante than a gangster. What he did was, in fact, against the rules, but he had good intentions. She, along with the boys that lived with Levi, they all had sick families. Some were sick themselves. Levi did what he could so they could get money for medicine and food.

Cerah looked around the place, seeing a lot of beggars around, mainly asking the merchants for money, but at one point, one beggar, an elderly man, asked them and Levi tossed him two coins, enough to buy the man at least one or two canned goods. With a small wave goodbye to the old man, the two had just left the crowded space when Cerah looked towards an alleyway and paused.

A woman was knelt against the wall, holding a blanket close to her body as if she was cold. Even at dangerously high temperatures, she still snuggled into the blanket like it was the only warmth she had. Cerah knew immediately the lady was sick. Only sick people would act like that. While she was feeling the heat, this woman felt she was in the dead of winter.

"Oi, Cerah.." She heard and a hand grip her shoulder, making her look away from the woman and up to Levi, who looked down at her sternly. "I told you not to let go of my cloak.."

"S-Sorry, Levi..she just..she reminds me of my mom.." Cerah mumbled, lowering her head to the ground as tears formed in her eyes. Levi looked from Cerah to the woman she was looking at and his eyes softened when he realized what she meant.

Cerah's mother was sick as well before someone murdered her and Cerah's father. When Levi found Cerah as a toddler, her mother was wrapped in a blanket the same way as the woman before him.

He sighed heavily, his hand slightly stretched to Cerah and the young girl took his hand, the two walking away from the alleyway.

"I know, kid..don't worry. I wont let that happen to you, ever."