warning: danger ahead *chapter three*

"Levi

"Levi..this job could work.."

Levi looked up from his knife to Farlan, his eyes darting to Cerah sitting on the sofa nearby, writing away in her journal.

"I'm not doing it..not if it will put Cerah in danger." Levi stated quietly, looking away from Cerah and back to Farlan. Farlan sighed, knowing exactly what Levi meant. This job was dangerous after all and with no one to look after Cerah while they did this job, this wasn't the best idea.

"What do we do?"

"We wait it out. See what else comes up. But I can't do the job. As much as I want to, Cerah is my priority right now. After what happened to her parents, I have to protect her." Levi mumbled, setting the knife on the table and leaning back, crossing his arms. "Right.."

A loud thud came at the front door and both men stood up at the sound of it, Levi looking over at Cerah just as she looked over to the door as well.

"Cerah, hide now." Levi said quietly, the girl nodding and closing her journal quickly, jumping up from her seat and going over to the closet which was open. She stepped inside and closed the door, but left it cracked and watched as Levi and Farlan approached the door. Her breathing became heavy in fear, but she tried her best to stay as quiet as possible. She saw that Levi had his blade drawn and had gave a short nod to Farlan. The door had opened at a lightning speed and another loud thud was heard.

"Oh..it's just a kid."

"..Cerah, it's fine. You can come out." She heard Levi say, and she opened the door, her head poking out and she saw that Levi gestured his head, letting her know it's safe.

"Hey! I'm not a kid! I'm 16!" Cerah heard as she rounded the corner and saw a red-headed girl climbing to her feet, holding something in her hands. "Well, then, you won't mind us throwing you back out, will you? Bad enough you dirtied up the floor."

"S-Sorry! I just-"

Loud yelling could be heard from outside and Farlan looked out the door to see merchants coming from down the street, going door-to-door asking for someone.

"Oh no..it's those merchants from earlier. I was running from them, but..I didn't mean to bring them here! Really!" The girl exclaimed and Farlan stepped outside, waiting for them to arrive. "Watch her, Cerah. I'll be back."

Cerah nodded, grabbing the small pocket knife from off the table in the lounge area and clutching onto it as she waited next to the girl.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt or something?" Cerah asked while kneeling beside the girl as she leaned up against the wall. "N-No. I'm fine.."

"What's that?" Cerah asked, while looking in the girl's hands. She moved her hands a bit more, Cerah soon seeing an injured bird flapping lightly in them and her eyes went wide at the sight of it. She's heard of birds inside the Underground City, but she's never seen one up close.

"Hey-"

"If you want the girl, then you can get her on your own time. You're not coming inside." Cerah heard, looking just outside the door and seeing a man trying to get in but Levi stood in front of the door.

"Outta the way, punk.." The man began, placing his hand on Levi's shoulder to pass by him. Cerah stood up quickly, her hands gripping the knife tightly to where her knuckles turned white.

The man didn't make it far, however. As soon as he took one step, with one quick motion, Levi had cut through the man's hand with his blade. The man grunted in pain, grabbing at his hand to stop the blood and found himself being strung up by the collar and Levi punching him in the face. He tumbled back down the stairs and Levi stared down at the man with a menacing and disgusted look.

"Get your asses out of here now. You're bleeding all over my stairs.." Levi states with a dark tone, one that even scared Cerah, and she was used to it. The man along with the other merchants had scurried off, not wanting to spend another second there and Levi and Farlan walked back into the home, locking the door behind themselves as it closed.

"You two okay?" Farlan asked, Cerah nodding and looking to the girl before her. "Who were those people? Why were they after you?"

"I..I found this bird..it was hurt so, I was trying to help it. I guess I got to close to the exit and they caught me." The girl said, holding the bird comfortingly in her hands. "Well, you got your little bird, now you can leave."

"B-But..I can help! I'm a fast learner! I've seen the way you guys fly with your gear! I promise I won't be any trouble if you could teach me!" The girl exclaimed, Cerah blinking in surprise and looking up at Levi. He looked down at her and he saw that look.

Cerah always had it whenever Levi was having those 'no sympathy for others' moment. It was kind of her way of reminding him what he did for her. Levi scoffed while looking away, beginning to walk away when he paused, looking to the girl.

"You can stay and we'll teach you, if you learn how to clean."