Part 2 of The Lovely Bones

We jump around a bit in time. When Susie leaves Earth, she touches Ruth Connors, a school friend, and Ruth becomes obsessed with her. Mr. Harvey collapses the underground room where he raped and killed Susie. Then he puts her "body parts" (4.1) in a bag, which he puts in his garage, while he goes up for a shower. Susie will learn later that he killed other girls before her. In the shower, Mr. Harvey thinks about how nice it was to kill Susie. Mr. Harvey puts the bag with Susie's body parts into a safe and dumps the safe into a sinkhole about eight miles from their Pennsylvania neighborhood.

On December 23, Susie's dad smashes some miniature ships a the bottle, which Susie often helped him with. He sees Susie's projected reflection in each piece of glass. Afterwards, Susie's four-year-old brother Buckley finds his dad and comforts him. Meanwhile, Mr. Harvey gets the idea to build a tent-like structure. After Jack Salmon breaks the ships in bottles, he happens to walk to Mr. Harvey's back yard and finds him making this odd structure.

Jack Salmon helps Mr. Harvey assemble the structure and talks to him. Susie is trying to send her dad ghostly messages, and she must have succeed because Jack begins to suspect Mr. Harvey of Susie's murder. He calls Detective Len Fenerman with his suspicions. Len Fenerman investigates. He thinks Harvey is weird, but doesn't find any evidence to make him a suspect. On Christmas day Samuel Heckler comes to visit Lindsey, beginning their romance. Meanwhile, Jack tries to teach Buckley how to play Monopoly and explain to him that his sister is dead.