sixteen .

E L E A N O R A

After a chat with Foltest, almost getting kicked out and roaming the crypt for clues- all of which sounded like thrilling opportunities that I've missed because of a certain grumpy Witcher, might I add- night has fallen and I watch as Gor gets ready to leave again for the crypt.

"Promise me you won't die on me?" I say as he packs his sword away. "That's the least you could do for me in return after you'd left me here almost dying of boredom the entire day. And now, I'm missing out on an incredible adventure because of you."

"El, it's too dangerous-"

"Yeah, yeah. I've heard that one before." I cut him off with a teasing smile, "Admit it, Gor. You just want to claim all the glory when you finally save the Striga."

The corner of his lip quirks into a smirk, "Fuck, I was hoping you wouldn't catch on."

I tip my head back, letting out a laugh and as my laughter fades, I look at Geralt to find his eyes stuck on me. His gaze resembles liquid gold and it's so intense to have his attention solely on me that I may have forgotten to breathe.

Sucking in a deep breath, I push off the wall I was resting against and move towards him until we're toe-to-toe before pushing up onto the balls of my feet I press a kiss to his cheek.

"I'm serious, Geralt." I stress, "Please be safe."

"As if I would ever let anything keep us apart." He murmurs, brushing his lips against my forehead in a fleeting kiss in return.

Up close, I can see the little brown flakes in his irises that somehow make them an even stunning shade of gold. It's times like this, where we're standing before each other when his eyes are holding mine, that blur the lines between friendship and something more.

Though it may be wishful thinking on my part, there's a little part of me that is telling me that soon, just being friends may not be enough for either of us anymore, because this feels like it's more. Much more.

As he leans forward to rest his forehead against mine, his fingers reaching up and tangling into the hair at the nape of my neck, I desperately cling on to the little self-control I still possess with dear life, willing myself not to do something stupid that may very well ruin us.

The door to Triss' lair swings open, startling me and I pull back from Geralt, whose hold seems to loosen on me rather hesitantly.

The sorceress in question saunters in, looking between us with a soft smile.

"The moon has almost fully risen. I believe it's time for you to take your leave."

Geralt lets out a grunt in reply, sparing her nothing else- not even so much as a glance- before he turns to leave.

Reaching out, I grip his arm. "Don't do anything stupid."

"I'll be back before you know it." He whispers to me and I watch as he exits the room, carrying bags with weapons he might need.

"How long have you two known each other?" Triss asks and I snap my attention to her.

"Too long," I reply with a laugh, "I'm starting to lose count if I'm being honest."

"You're good together, the pair of you."

"I would hope we are. I'll probably be stuck with him for a while." I joke as I start to wander around the lair.

I take a closer look at the vials that cover almost every surface in the room, taking in the different coloured liquids that filled that before stopping in front of a shelf packed full of books.

They hold everything from spell books written in elven to informational history books. My gaze gets drawn to a sizeably smaller looking one, I pull it out of the stack only to realise it's not a book at all; it's a deck of tarot cards.

I hold it up to Triss, "You know how to read cards?"

"I used to dabble in it. It's different. I found it rather interesting."

"How about one more reading? For old times sake."

Triss holds out her hand for the deck, which I hand over. She then walks over to the long bench in the middle of the room, pushing vials aside to make room, then gesturing for me to take a seat on the stool across from her.

I oblige, looking forward to seeing what the cards have to say about me.

Shuffling the deck with ease, Triss pulls a card from the deck, flipping it onto the surface image side up.

The Tower. I furrow my brows at Triss as she grimaces at the card, "What does this one mean?"

"The Tower symbolises, catastrophe, things falling apart- collapsing, much like a tower, you could say."

I eye the card warily, shaking off the chill that runs down my spine. "What else?"

I wait with bated breath as Triss draws another card, flipping over just as she did with the previous one.

"The Moon," I read, "It shines bright in the night sky. Can't be that bad, right?"

Triss shakes her head, "The Moon represents fears and anxieties becoming reality." She looks up at me, "We can stop if you'd like."

"No. Please, go on."

She selects another card from the deck and then flips it over one at a time. I feel goosebumps spreading up my arm as I stare at the card that seems to stare right back at me; Death.

"It doesn't have to stand for death in a literal sense. It could stand for the end of something- like a situation that you're currently experiencing." She explains, but something in my gut tells me otherwise.

No, this was a warning. Bile rises in the back of my throat as an image of Geralt's back as he leaves for the crypt flashes through my mind and I stand abruptly from my seat, almost knocking the stool over in the process.

"I have to find Geralt."

I turn, heading towards the door when a rush of dizziness hits me.

"He'd warned me about you trying to follow," Triss says, and I could hear the note of sincerity in her voice. "I promised I wouldn't let you leave."

My eyes snap to hers, though she's starting to look a little blurry around the edges now.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm keeping my promise to keep you out of harm's way." She answers, her eyes wordlessly conveying an apology. "I'm sorry, Eleanora. If you go, he'll be too busy trying to keep you from getting killed to focus on the task at hand. He doesn't need any distractions right now."

"But, Geralt...I have to find..." I try to protest even though my limbs were starting to feel heavy.

Unable to support my weight any longer, my knees give out from under me and I crumple to the ground.

"Don't fight it. Close your eyes and rest, Eleanora. He'll be back before you know it." Triss' voice sounds like a distant memory now and for once, I listen, closing my eyes and letting my dreams wash over me.