three .

G E R A L T

We weren't too far from Blaviken. Somewhere along the way, El had fallen asleep, not even the least bit bothered by the big bloodied claw strapped in behind her on Roach's rear with her petite body pressed up against me, head resting against my back, and her dainty hands wrapped around me. I had tucked them into my pockets so they wouldn't get cold, taking extra care not to wake her up along the way while also ensuring to keep an exceptionally close eye on her to make sure she doesn't fall into a sleep too deep.

It was a long night for her, concluded with the death of a deer which she stood beside, comforting it till the very end.

The situation summed up all you needed to know about El perfectly. She was tough, witty, and strong-willed, but when it came down to it, she was nothing if not kind. She didn't need to stay behind to comfort that dying deer and save herself some misery of watching the life bleed out of it, but she did.

El was exactly what I needed in my life. She balanced me out perfectly. The day our lives intertwined was the day I found a new perspective in life- one filled with more colour and less dull grey- and I hope the colours never fade.

I feel El's head lolling to the side and knew it was time to wake her up.

"Time to wake up, Princess. We're almost there." I say, even though Blaviken was still some distance away.

El stirs behind me, "Already?" She groans, stretching her arms over her head.

"Well, you've been out for a long time. I was starting to worry you fell into a coma."

"Ha-ha, very funny." She says sarcastically, I could practically hear her rolling her eyes, "You crack a joke every once in a while and you think you're absolutely hilarious."

The corners of my mouth quirk into a smirk at her response, "Aren't I?"

"Far from it," El leans forward to peer at my face, "I'm the fun one in our duo. You're the brooding enigma."

I let out a laugh, shaking my head at her.

"It's true!" Her lips crack into a wide smile, "I like to think it's why we work."

Her words make my heart clench. She's right, we do work. As friends. I remind myself, which is easier said than done.

I've never admitted it out loud, but as sceptical as I was of our relationship at the beginning, El has grown to be someone I cannot imagine living without. God knows I'll never do anything to fuck this up, and that includes keeping my dick in my pants and whatever feelings I think I might have for her on a tight leash. Feelings. I scoff, I'm not supposed to have any of those.

"Penny for your thoughts?" El's voice cuts through my train of thoughts.

It's only now that I realise I've been frowning. Ironing out my features into a stoic mask, I clear my throat with a terse shake if my head. "It isn't important."

"I'd beg to differ," El replies.

I grunt in reply, "Nothing for you to worry about."

I wince at my unintentionally harsh tone, glancing back just in time to see a flash of hurt in her eyes, gone as quick as it appeared.