twenty .

E L E A N O R A

It's been weeks since I had a temporary lapse in judgment and somehow thought it was a good idea to kiss my best friend...or what I now like to refer to as 'the incident'. Things haven't been the same for obvious reasons.

I hear Geralt pacing every night when he thinks I'm sleeping, barely catching a wink himself. Some nights he even talks to Roach, though I'm never able to catch what he's saying no matter how hard to strain to hear.

"I'm going to take Finley for a walk," I yell over to where he was standing by the lake, tossing a net in.

He grunts in reply, never once meeting my eyes.

It pains me to no end that this is what has become of us and I reach up to rub at the ache in my chest.

Finley laps at my hand as if to comfort me and I smile down at him, patting him on the head. "Let's go, Fin."

He lets out a single bark, his tail wagging aggressively as he follows closely behind me.

My giant fur-ball of a dog wanders off eventually as we make our way deeper into the woods with his head buried in the grass, sniffing for an ideal spot to leave his mark.

"Don't go too far, Finley!" I call out after him and he lets out another bark in answer.

We weren't gone for very long- maybe twenty minutes at most- before the wind starts to pick up. Leaves rattled around me, disturbed by the violently blowing air.

I look up at the sky that now has a dark cast to it when it was a perfectly clear blue just minutes before. Then, just as fast, it starts to clear.

"Finley!" I yell, "Time to head back, buddy!"

The soft prattling of paws on the ground grows louder as Finley returns, panting and with his mouth pulled back into what looked like a satiated smile.

I retrace my step back to where we'd left Geralt and Roach.

"El!" I hear Geralt's voice echoing through the woods as we grow closer.

I immediately pick up my pace until I'm practically running through the woods.

Finally, I emerge through the bushes, hitting the bank by the lake.

I frown at the scene unfolding before me, "Jaskier?" Worry niggles at my chest as I spot the blood pooling on the bard's chin and dripping into the front of his shirt as he doubles over, wheezing. "What's going on? Is he going to be okay?"

"I need to get him to a doctor," He says, "There's no room for all of us on Roach."

I shake my head, "Don't worry about me. I'll stay behind."

The frown Geralt wears deepens and I could see the uncertainty in his gaze, "El-"

I stop him before he could continue, "There's no time, Gor. He needs help. Hurry!"

For the first time in days, Geralt reaches out, his large palms cupping my jaw and his serious gaze meets mine.

"Be careful. Do not leave this spot, alright? I'll come back for you when I can."