twenty seven .

E L E A N O R A

Death...It's a scent that's hard to miss, especially when it constantly lingers around you like an unwanted presence that refuses to leave you.

And guess, in my case, it kind of was.

Finley barks ahead of me, drawing me out of my thoughts and I frown. One thing I've learnt about my dog is that he's extremely sensitive to the Ker's presence. Maybe even more so than I was.

"Is something wrong, Fin?"

Finley wags his tail, letting out another bark, as if he was asking me to follow him, before taking off without me.

"Finley! Slow down!" I yell, taking off after him.

The hood of my cloak slid off of my head as I took off running after him. Snow falls onto my hair, sticking to my blonde strands and it crunches under my boots as I go.

I emerge from amongst the trees only to come to a sudden halt.

Finley's at Geralt's feet, raising his butt in the air in a playful posture and wagging his tail excitedly. Traitor.

His golden gaze rises to meet mine for the first time in what feels like an eternity and I swallow down the lump that forms in my throat.

I don't think a day went by when I wasn't reminded of how much I missed him. By now that he was standing in front of me in the flesh, I was once again being reminded tenfold of all I'd lost the day I finally got the answers I had so desperately wanted.

Geralt was all I had left in this world, and I lost it all in the span of a day.

My heart aches and I reach up to rub at the area to relieve myself of the pain. Geralt's gaze follows the movement and I see the flash of guilt that passes through them as if he knew.

"Geralt?" A soft, feminine voice sounds and I notice for the first time that he wasn't alone.

I spot a girl perched on top of Roach. She's slender and young and has pale blond hair that flows down her back. I blink slowly at her, trying to place her. And then it hits me; she must be Geralt's child of surprise.

"El," Gor finally speaks, breaking the odd stand-off between us.

My eyes snap back to him, and his throat bobs as he searches for the right words to say.

Eventually, he settles on, "How are you?"

"Fine," I respond curtly.

Geralt opens his mouth to speak again but before he can get anything out, the girl cuts him off. "This is El?"

I turn my attention to the girl and paste on a smile, "That's me," I tell her, "What's your name?"

"Ciri," She replies simply.

"It's nice to meet you, Ciri," I greeted.

She's pretty, I observed. And glaringly young. Her age shows in the hint of innocence that she still obviously carries, and I hope she manages to keep what's left of it for a long while.