C H A P T E R S I X T E E N

IT had been a few weeks since Thea had found out about her Grandmother, and she had grown to accept the fact that there were going to be hard days for a while

IT had been a few weeks since Thea had found out about her Grandmother, and she had grown to accept the fact that there were going to be hard days for a while. She put all her focus back on work, attempting to not think of her Grandmother in a sad light, but a happy one, and just focus on the good things. It was the only thing she could do.

She was currently sat in her hotel room in Belgium, waiting for Lando to come back from a meeting with Zak and Andreas.

She was a bit anxious about what he had been called in for. She and Lando had been sat in her hotel room, having a break from the work of the weekend (even on a Friday, the pair were exhausted.), when Lando had gotten a call from Zak out of the blue.

When he had answered it, he was his usual self, smiley, cheerful, but when Zak had spoken, his expression dropped, and a frown formed on his face. He'd hastily said he'd "be there" and rushed away to see what was wrong.

He told Thea all Zak had said on the phone was "I think you, Andreas and I should have a little talk before the headache of qualifying."

That in itself had made Lando nervous, he had said Zak held the tone of a parent trying to to sound angry at their child, which in itself was unusual for Zak, as he was almost constantly cheery and happy.

Thea assured Lando that it couldn't be anything too bad, as he had done nothing wrong, performance wise or attitude wise. She suggested maybe they wanted to talk about Hungary, the last race before the summer break, in which Lando had been taken out of the race on the first lap to no fault of his own.

Lando had eased up a bit once she had suggested this, and grabbed his coat to leave, and placed a small kiss on the top of her forehead. This had taken Thea a bit by shock as he left.

The two hadn't discussed they're almost-kiss since it happened, and Thea liked to keep it that way. Even after she had admitted to Nia that she did indeed want to kiss Lando in that moment, she knew there were too many variables that would get in the way, and it would be better just to ignore it.

Currently, Thea was sat on the sofa, flicking through the Belgian TV channels, seeing if she could find something interesting to watch (she'd gotten bored of Instagram) when the door knocked.

She got up, walking towards the door and unlocking it. She smiled at Lando, before she realised there were faint tears in his eyes. "Lando what happened?" she asked, standing aside as he walked into her room.

Thea shut the door and walked over to him, rubbing his arm. He sank down onto the sofa, hands covering his face as Thea sat down beside him. "Lando what wrong?" she asked gently.

Lando took his hands away from his face, and Thea noticed them shaking. "Y'know that article about me going to RedBull during silly season?"

"Yeah..." Thea replied, still concerned.

"Well, McLaren took it seriously, and they think I'm leaving." Lando explained, looking over to Thea, attempting to control his emotions.

"Oh Lando" Thea sighed, sympathetically.

"Zak, Zak told me that I need to prove that my loyalties lie with McLaren, otherwise they're gonna' call up their Indy Car driver, Pato O'Ward and see if he wants to stay in America." Lando said. "Thea I'm going anywhere."

"I know sweetie, I know." Thea pulled Lando into a hug, letting his head settle on her shoulder, and she could feel him sob into her neck. His arm hung loosely around her waist as her's were holding him gently, her hands running through his hair in an attempt to calm him. "You prove to them that you're not going anywhere. They won't call up O'Ward, he's their best chance at winning over there." she assured him.

Lando shifted slightly and sighed into Thea's shoulder. "Everything's just all gone to shit. Hungary, now this."

"Hey, neither of these things are your fault, she said, pulling Lando away from her. She culled his face so that they were looking at each other. She ran her thumbs across his cheeks, something that calmed Lando down slightly.

"Hungary was not your fault, you couldn't do anything, and this stupid article is like you say, silly season rumours." Thea said calmly. Lando listened to her voice, and took deep breaths, knowing she was right.

"Prove to McLaren that you are the best thing that's ever happened to them, because by God you are."

Lando said nothing, but pulled Thea into a hug. He settled his head into the crevasse of her neck, and she played with his hair. She heated a muffled "thank you" and smiled.

"Lando you're the best thing to happen to a lot of people, not just McLaren." she said, "You're amazing okay?"

He let out a faint chuckle, and pulled her closer, tightening the hug. Thea was the best thing to happen to him too.

————

BIT OF SAD LANDO BUT BIT OF CUTE LEA

A BALANCE