I - Chalisandra

Run! Run and never come back here!

Save yourself Chalisandra!

Cee suddenly sat upright and drew her dagger from under her pillow, slashing at an invisible enemy. Beads of sweat trickled down her forehead and she panted heavily. She looked around only to find herself alone in the room. She sighed and dropped back to the bed, her arm over her eyes. She tried going back to sleep but it eluded her.

"You look restless," Draco, her best friend, greeted her as she walked out of her room. "You okay, Cee?"

She gave him a tired smile. "Yeah, I'm good. I'm going to the marketplace. Gonna find me a new sword."

"Yours look just fine." He commented but Cee simply shrugged. She continued on her way, leaving the man behind. Her dream still lingered in her head and she was not in the talking mood at the moment. Sure, she trusted Draco. They'd been together since they both escaped their burning city, but the man didn't really know who she was. All Draco knew was that they were from the same city, and that was it.

Cee shook her head as if the action would simply erase the thought. She closed her eyes and reminded herself that her old self was long dead and gone the same way their city was.

The marketplace has always been this busy. Merchants were selling wares, trinkets, food, and her favorite, weapons. Long and short swords, daggers, axes, maces, bows and arrows, and shields were aligned and hung on their tents. But none of it caught Cee's eye. Draco was right, her sword was just fine. It was a gift from her father right before everything went wrong. She clenched her jaw at the memory as she shook her head again.

I can't dwell on my past.

Your past is your weakness. You must not get weak to survive.

Her mentor's voice rang inside her head. It was one of the lessons he taught her, and it served her well.

Cee's eyes wandered around, watching silently as she walked around the marketplace. She didn't miss the other sellswords like her. A blade for hire, a fighter with the right price. Most of them were gambling and drinking while some were being pulled inside a brothel by some... women, or men.

Two children, a boy, and a girl, suddenly ran up to her and stopped in front of her as she stood in front of the fountain in the middle of the marketplace. They tilted their heads at the same time as they stared at her.

"You're a girl," the boy said as he pointed at her neatly tied hair. The little girl elbowed him.

She smiled at them. "Yes, I am."

"Shh!" The girl shushed the boy and then looked up at her. "But you carry a sword," she commented as she pointed at the sword hanging on her hips.

"That I do."

"You should be a lady." They said in unison. Her smile grew wider at them. She took a closer look at them. They were clearly the same age, and their features suggested that they were from the same family.

Twins.

An image started to form in her head but she quickly shook her head, trying to remove the memory from her head. But of course, she couldn't, so she pushed them down, hoping it could be forgotten. Her left hand gripped her sword pommel, a constant reminder of who she was.

I guess I can't really run away from who I am.

"Not all girls become a lady, young ones," she said as she ruffled both their hair, making them giggle. "Go on, your mother might be looking for you." She smiled at them before turning back and continued walking.