VI - Paths Crossed

Cee

"Are you sure you're not going to reconsider their offer?" Draco asked Cee for the... well, she lost count. They were currently in a tavern, eating and drinking. Draco was paid a quarter of his fee, and he was feeling celebratory. But with how their conversation was going, it felt more like bribery.

"Ask me that question one more time, your sorry ass won't be able to deliver Lord Mortis's daughter outside the city, much more to the court."

The ring Cheska had given her kept glowing whenever she was around Draco, which was all the time that she was forced to put it in a chain and wear it on her neck. The cold metal against her skin was calming, a bit of a reminder of her friend. Of the woman... she adored.

"Can't you see it? This is a chance for us."

"A chance for what, Draco? To get rich? I don't need Pelindros's tainted gold," she snarled. Just thinking about the man who slaughtered her family and everyone in her city could make her blood boil.

"That's not really what I meant." His face darkened as he spoke, and Cee understood.

"Listen, Drac, I want him dead as much as you want, hell, maybe even more. But, what's the point? We kill him, he's gone, and so was Creage. It'd still be in ruins. His death won't mean anything. It's pointless."

"We get our revenge!" He slammed his fist on the table, earning a look from a passing customer.

She glared at him. "Would you keep it down? Killing him will not bring them back. I'm not saying we forget about them, but use their memories to keep fighting for ourselves."

"You always wanted revenge."

"I still do, and that fire in my chest will burn until I die, but it doesn't mean I have to act on it. And did you really think we could get near him if we landed in the Courts? He's a prince!" she hissed the last part. "My answer still stands. Besides, it's a month-long trip from here to the Court. Traveling with a high-born lady for that long would be soul-exhausting," she made a show of shuddering, "Imagine the whining."

"You're refusing, not just because you believe killing him won't do any good, but also because you don't want to be stuck with a lady complaining for a month?"

She simply shrugged, not saying a word. She finished her wine and left the tavern abruptly, light drizzle splashed on her face.

Draco was passionate but could be a bit think-headed. Sure, Cee would sometimes act on her emotions, but she had made an effort to make sure she kept a leveled head. It wouldn't be good if she would always act on the very first emotion that surfaced in her head.

And Cee's trust in Draco was a bit shaken. The ring was constantly glowing in his presence. People might think it was crazier to trust a ring than an actual man, but she trusted Cheska with her life.

She sighed as she decided to walk towards the gambling house. Cee had nothing else to do since she hadn't taken any job when someone crashed into her and they would have stumbled down if it weren't for her quick reflex.

"Woah, watch where you're going," she held the person on her shoulder, "uh, sir?"

"I... uh, I'm sorry, I was... running away from someone." The person let out a trembling voice.

Oh, not a man, then.

The woman looked up at her as Cee held both her shoulders, her green eyes staring into her red one. She felt an unexpected tug on her chest as she saw the unshed tears in her eyes, and the woman looked oddly familiar.

"Who are you running from?"

"My lord. He... arranged for me to be taken away and forced me to marry a man I barely knew. Please, hide me, kind... lady," she pleaded as she held onto both her arms, her fingers digging into her muscles. "Please."