XI - Ambush

They left as soon as the storm passed. Pyre sprinted ahead of them, scouting the area. The moment Cee laid eyes on her direwolf, she knew a Praelia aside from her. But who? Her father? Her mother? Her twin? But she saw with her own eyes how Pelindros drove his sword through her brother's chest. They burned everything.

Her thoughts were cut off when she heard Pyre howling. It wasn't the same one she did when they met.

It was a warning.

She turned her attention to the two noble ladies she was traveling with.

"Both of you, hide. And stay hidden," she looked pointedly at Cheska who gave her an apologetic smile. "Pyre and I will find you as soon as we can."

Cee didn't wait for their answer as she pulled on her rein and rode towards her direwolf. She found Pyre snarling, the fur at the scruff of her neck bristled. She was angry. But it wasn't the thing that surprised her.

"Cee," a familiar voice called, yet it sounded hollow.

"Draco? What are you doing here?" She looked at her old friend. He wasn't as buffed as he was before. There were dark circles under his eyes and they looked sunken. It was like his life was drifting away from him.

"I should be asking you that question," his voice distant and cold, "Why are you near the borders? Going this far south, you are on your way to Creage."

There was something twisted and malicious around Draco. As an elemental, she could feel energies around her, and with Draco, there was something... dark and dangerous. She didn't recognize what it was. It was far from the energy she had accustomed him to. He felt nothing like the man who had run away with her from Creage. The man she could call her friend, the man she trusted. And the ring that hung on her neck by a chain didn't just glow, it pulsed harshly against her chest.

She watched as her direwolf growled loudly at Draco. "I don't think this is any of your business. You were supposed to escort Lord Mortis's daughter up to the Courts, weren't you? You're far from it."

"The lady had gone missing, said to be abducted. The Prince is furious. I was sent to find her and bring her back."

"Then why look here?"

"She disappeared around the same time you did," he commented as he took a step forward but Pyre snarled at him, her red eyes gleaming, making him smirk. "I see you made a friend on your way back to Creage."

"I was not going there."

"I've known you for a long time, Cee, since we ran from Creage, you are bad at lying."

She glared at her when soldiers began to come from the trees. She recognized them, especially the captain of the guards of Estrolis. They formed a circle, surrounding them both.

"In the name of His Royal Highness Prince Pelindros and our noble Lord Mortis," he started, "You, Cee the sellsword, are under arrest for the abduction of Lady Lysandra Clavoc, the Prince's—"

"Lysandra Bellus." She was not able to stop herself from correcting the captain. Confusion appeared on their faces. "Her name was Lysandra Bellus, the only daughter of Lord Vlixus and Lady Liria Bellus, nobles of Creage."

"What are you going on about, Cee? She was—"

"She came from Creage, Draco, that's what I'm talking about."

Their faces creased as they tried to comprehend what she just said. It was understandable. Very few people, especially commoners and non-Creagan were familiar with the late lady's face. She was known to be the most beautiful noble but not everyone was fortunate enough to gaze upon her face.