(Chapter 5) As the Blood Runs Down the Walls

We had just gone to alert Ray about us finding Pete's body. It brought up quite the dilemma seeing as breakfast wouldn't be able to happen for a while since we needed to investigate the scene. We didn't get to have a good look over the crime scene because of our racing after our new prime suspect, Billie Joe. 

As we made our way back to the kitchen, conversation between Frank and I was sparse. Only consisting of a brief plan to go track down Billie after investigating the kitchen. We probably were saving our words for the inevitable long interview with our suspect later that day. 

Upon arrival at the kitchen, I put on a brave face and walked over to where the body was located. Frank pulled out his phone to take pictures of the scene. Wielding said camera, Frank photographed the body. 

Pete had a gnarly gash across his neck. What's up with this killer and necks? I thought with a puzzled expression. This time there was no weapon in sight like at the last murder. But, their calling card, the rose petals were present and strewn around the body. I turned to look where the knives and other sharp utensils were kept to see if the weapon was there when Frank tapped my shoulder. I jumped slightly at this action. "Y/n you should look at this," Frank said with a slight tremble in his tone. 

I reluctantly turned to see what was the matter and was horrified; This case was nothing like anything I'd seen before. Scrawled on the wall in dripping blood were the words, "Guess again L/n". I'd dealt with all kinds of murderers in my time, but nobody as depraved to write in a dead man's blood. Not to mention the mockery in the message, this man was in fact cocky as I'd predicted. 

"Well they're one smug bastard," Frank scoffed as the fear present on his face prior was washed away with judgment and attitude. 

"Indeed," I agreed as Frank snapped a shot of the bloody message. This would be essential to our collected evidence, seeing as it could possibly contain not just Pete's DNA but also the murderers. Unfortunately, there wasn't a way to preserve it until the other investigators came, so it was our only option. 

We spent some more time analyzing the scene until we had to clean it so the other chefs could cook the morning buffet. It was morbid work that I had never done before, cleaning up a dead body. Usually, I just had to collect the evidence and help patch together a possible narrative to prosecute the defendant. I'd never had to mop up another human's blood before and I never wanted to again. Moving the body was a whole other story, it was even worse than the blood mopping I'll say that. 

After that horrendous activity, Frank and I made our way to ask for Billie Joe's room number. Once that was acquired we hurried our way to the given room number and knocked a couple of times. No answer. We knocked yet again this time more vigorously. After a few seconds, feet stumbled toward the door and cracked it open. "Hello?" he asked with a dazed expression and half-lidded bloodshot eyes. 

"We wanted to talk to you for a minute about your activities this morning. Would you mind if we just asked you a few questions?" I opened, with a professional tone. 

"Huh?" He questioned, confused and seemingly out of mind. 

He seemed oddly calm just slightly bewildered as he leaned against the doorframe of his room. During our back and forth to get him into an interview, he exhibited signs that he was on something. Which is not good when you're looking to interrogate someone about a murder they may have committed. Somebody who is high's answers cannot be used in a case since they aren't in their right mind. 

This banter between us standing at his door was going nowhere. After about maybe thirty minutes of concluding that we couldn't talk to him right then, we left. We made sure to tell everyone on that corridor to lock their doors and be on the lookout since who knows what he could do now. He was safe from us for the time being. 

Frank and I planned to meet up a few hours later to try again but decided that we could have some time to ourselves. I will say, I needed a moment to cool off since I was aggravated about the whole Billie situation considering the events a few moments before. 

I decided that I needed a smoke, so I walked out to the porch. I was kind of excited to have a moment of quiet to think and overlook the picturesque view of the mountain range. Yes, the snow was a major inconvenience since it meant that we were stuck, but it sure was pretty. 

As I entered the balcony, I stopped in my tracks. It seemed as though Gerard had the same idea I did. He leaned against the banister, balancing the cigarette ever so delicately in his hand, every once in a while taking a drag exhaling a puff of smoke to evaporate into the dreary day's sky. 

"Are you going to stand there or join me?" He asked into the air, not even turning his head to meet my stunned gaze. 

"Uh um yeah, sorry," I swiftly apologized, joining by his side and pulling my lighter and cigarettes out. 

"Don't apologize," he spoke as my lighter decided that it didn't want to cooperate. "It happens, we all have our moments when we forget what we're doing or get in a daze. It's whatever," He finished, holding up his working light to the end of my smoke. 

"Thanks," I said graciously. 

"No problem darling," He finally turned to face me. "What brings you out here? It's awfully cold and you don't have a coat on," He pointed out. 

"Oh, I didn't notice," I laughed at my stupidity. "What brings me out here is that I just needed to clear my head, to be honest," I replied. 

"What's on your mind, hun?" He asked raising his eyebrow slightly.

"Well, as you know, just the case and shit. Nothing's going to plan and I just wanted to have a lovely vacation with my friend, but of course, something bad just had to happen. I'm just tired as well and the insomnia isn't helping." I vented which I kind of felt bad for. 

"I'm sorry, I understand where you're coming from, especially with the insomnia part. I'm often up 'til near four in the morning with my insomnia, I get it. I just feel bad you have to deal with all of this shit." He empathized, wrapping his open arm around my shivering shoulder. 

I rested my head against him, although he wasn't any warmer than I was, it still made me feel as warm and fuzzy on the inside. "Thanks for listening to me by the way."

"Of course, I wanna make you feel better. Even though I just met you, I care about you and want to reassure you that you will get through this and you will catch this person. You're one of the best aren't you." He said the last part less like a question and more like a statement. 

The next thing I did was very out of character for me. Putting my cigarette out on the cement banister, I did the thing I'd wanted to since I had seen this man. I connected our lips, kissing him with passion and as to convey all the feelings I had over the past few days for him. He quickly reciprocated with the same amount of force and fervor as I. I could have sworn there were fireworks going off in the background as it felt so electrifying and exhilarating. Maybe I was being a bit over the top, but you can't blame someone as touch starved as I was. 

His lips felt even softer than I imagined, this was one of the best kisses I'd shared. My hands made their way to his hair, pulling on the strands as he held onto my hips and cupped my chin. Eventually, we parted to catch our breaths, but still held onto each other. His beautiful hazel eyes gleamed with satisfaction and his lips pulled into a slight smirk. "You don't know how long I've wanted to do that," I commented, a blush prevalent on my features. 

"Oh I think I do," He chuckled. "You've been staring dreamy-eyed at me since the first time you saw me. You're not very good at hiding it, Sugar." He said which caused me to go even redder. 

"Okay, fine you figured me out then," I rolled my eyes. "We better get inside it's fucking cold." I clung to him for warmth. 

"I told you!" He laughed as we made our way back inside the hotel hall.