CH. 11

"Welcome back, My Lord. Your father was looking for you a moment ago, he's in the reading room." The butler informed.

Jeno was indeed an outstanding individual, taking his job in the Royal Military seriously. But whenever he got back home, he's no more than the Marquess of Mortshire, the son of two loving parents.

Walking through the corridors, the soon reached his father's reading room. He knocked on the door before opening the door, revealing his father enjoying his time reading beside the fireplace.

"You called me, father?"

"Oh Jeno, take a seat son," he said.

Jeno took a seat in front of his father, waiting patiently for him to speak. 

"I heard the headquarter was attacked earlier, what happened?"

"The Queen has ordered for us to find the murderer of Princess Jihye. We have yet to find who was behind this, but it's most likely to be her." Jeno answered.

"You have yet to find who was behind it?" His father rephrased his statement, not understanding why they couldn't find out. "Yes, the mastermind behind this operation has yet to be discovered. We couldn't get any information out from the attackers, but we're getting there."

"Alright then, and one more," his father spoke. "I heard from Donghyuck you're working together with a mafia executive. He even stated that you specifically asked for navy backup. Is that correct?"

Jeno knew how much his father despised the mafia. He had openly spoken about it multiple times, even before he signed the contract with Haneul and Hyunjin.

"Yes, that's correct father," he settled. "But only for a while. I need to find the murderer of Prince Jihye as soon as possible."

Contradicting to his prediction, his father gave him an approving nod. "It's not easy to work together with the devils. I admire your bravery, son."

His father, just like any other aristocrats, was strongly against the idea of working together with the Noir Mafia. When Mark made the decision to strike a deal with them, his father was more than upset. But he knew Mark had his own objection and reasonings, so he trusted him with his job.

The aristocrats viewed themselves as the angles, the perfect humans who had everything. The Noir Mafia, was the exact opposite. They were seen as the villains, the people who did all the sins. Often viewed as the devils, they did all sorts of illegal activities and they lurk around the city both day and night.

But actually in reality, they were both equally horrible.

The aristocrats were just arrogant, thinking they were the superior human beings.

Jeno walked out of his father's reading room, encountering his brother. Donghyuck gave him a sly smirk, giving him a pat on the shoulder. "Did he lecture you?"

Jeno chuckled, shaking his head. "He didn't. But he was utterly disgusted."

"That's expected. He was frantic when he found out Mark-hyung made a deal with the mafia, but you know how much dad trusts him. He assumed he had a reason to do it." Donghyuck explained.

Jeno did understand where that came from. He was never fond of them from the start, but he needed to get his personal matters away and focus on his job. Though, he's not the type to hold grudges. 

All he ever wanted was to capture the murderer, not knowing what the future held for him.

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

Her violet orbs stared at the night sky with a hollow look. It was yet again, another rough day. She almost got herself killed today but fortunately for her, she only ended up with a few bruises and cuts. It was bound to happen anyway, she was a mafia executive. 

She couldn't wrap her head around her situation, entangled in such paradox. 

She chuckled to herself, taking a sip of her favorite wine. "Tch, what an arrogant man,"

She has always find Jeno to be the typical, arrogant aristocrat. Just like any other, he acted like he thought so highly of himself. It wasn't like she was poor, no. In fact, she was actually rich. Her income obviously came from mostly illegal activities, but that didn't stop the cash flowing in her bank account.

But this was Lee Jeno, the Marquess of Mortshire. 

"Well at least his life is quite pleasant," she swallowed. "I envy you, Lee Jeno."

She hated to admit the fact that she was actually feeling quite inferior towards him. Her parents abandoned her since birth, leaving her to the orphanage. Even until this day, the true identity of her parents were still unknown. 

But being the person she was, she would never let anyone see that side of her. She wanted everyone to acknowledge that she was the best. She often felt like she was losing herself, yet she concealed it all with her confidence.

She had both superiority and inferiority complex, how ironic.

Nevertheless, that didn't stop her for being strong willed and an amazing strategic thinker. She liked to surround herself with people that could make her feel like she was doing great, but she'd never tell them that.

Taking out the  lollipop from her pocket, she opened up the wrapper before putting it inside her mouth. She didn't smoke, and she never had the intention to. So as an alternative, she liked to eat cherry lollipop.

Her eyes wandered around the horizon as the sky slowly began to split itself into different colors, the sun going down. It was just another solitary night.

 It was just another solitary night