φωτός 3

📸*

Golden eyes.

She had golden eyes.

Her brown skin matched the soil under my feet;  rough but glowing.

Her eyes would have been the same color if it wasn't for the sun.

Its rays glimmered in her irises bringing out the golden specks, but the pink and blue sky shone in her eyes like a drizzle of rain had washed away the earth, exposing its riches and gems.

Her dark full lips pulled up into a smile as she gazed out to the pier behind the house and ran a hand through her short, fuzzy hair. 

Her buzz cut did nothing to take away her beauty.

Her hair reminded me of ebony. Dark, shiny ebony wood that curled at it's ends. 

Long story short, she was a gem.

Another gem to add to the collection.

Her eyes fluttered closed as she breathed in, her long lashes brushing over her round cheeks.

I slowly took my camera out of my bag, but my elbow bumped into it, making it fall on its side and rustling the bushes.

Her eyes opened and snapped in my direction, but the bush I was behind did well to hide me; my shaggy hair blending with the branches, my green eyes melding with the sun-kissed leaves.

Her eyes stayed trained on the bush I was in, them narrowing, mine widening. Sweat glided down my face and was absorbed by the soil, both from the heat and the anticipation. 

I stayed as still as stone, and the only sounds I heard were the low crashing of waves on the beach beyond the house and the frantic beat of my heart that sped up with every breath I made.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

Relax.

She won't catch you.

Our eyes connected for a second, she probably didn't notice and thought that they were among the cluster of leaves, but I did. 

I finally realised what had me so drawn to her eyes.

They were just so full of life.

Something I both had and lacked.

They were like the exact opposite of my green eyes, which could've passed for grey.

They were rich.

Richer than the gold and silvers hidden in the soil.

I didn't know if I wanted her to look away so I could take her picture or if I wanted her to keep gazing into my eyes with hers.

A bigger part of me prayed for the former.

My prayers were answered in the form of a Jeep that rumbled up the road, and my lungs let out a shaky breath. Her head turned around at the sound of her friend calling her, stealing away her attention. I cursed, fumbling for my camera. 

I needed this.

I didn't know why, but I needed this shot.

Another curse came out of my mouth when she entered the car. I tried to take the picture, but she was shaking her head so much that the picture was blurred. 

A scowl came on my face as she was driven away, growing smaller as they drove down the road, her melodious laughter still ringing in my ears. 

My glare softened when I noticed that they were heading for the pier, a few miles away from the house. A sickly grin grew on my face, my lips stinging because of the cracks that were starting to form but I paid them no mind.

I knew where they were going.

I knew where she was going.

I was drawn by her imperfections, and how they managed to make her all the more beautiful. I searched for diamonds and rubies, and I chanced upon gold.

I would not let go of that treasure.