φωτός 4

⚜*

By the time we got to the beach, the sky had become a canvas of pink and lavender, painted by the fluffy clouds. The moon was starting to show.

It was a beautiful scene, to be able to see the sun and moon out at the same time, even if it was temporary. One would have to replace the other in the end.

I took my drawing pad out of my backpack that sat beside me on the side of the pier. The car had been parked a few meters behind me, and Keisha, Benedict, and I were waiting for the others to arrive. I had decided to enjoy the scenery and admire the wide, vast body of water that lay before me.

They had decided to watch Netflix.

I was starting to regret my decision, pulling my hoodie closer to my body as the ocean breeze swept the wind of my head. I scrunched up my nose and squinted my eyes when a very large gust of wind blew some droplets of water on my face. 

I opened my eyes and noticed a little turtle the size of my palm waddling along the shore. It was a beautiful green shade of emerald, and its shell reminded me of mint and fern leaves. Its head was dappled in green spots, all varying in color and its large, beady eyes looked too big for its head.

I smiled as it got closer to my side of the pier. I immediately started sketching its image, thankful it had paused its walk. It stared at me in curiosity and waddled closer, but accidentally hit a small rock and flipped over on its back. 

I gasped and immediately jogged over to help it out, but it tried snapping on my fingers. A giggle escaped my throat at its effort for I hardly felt anything, its soft jaws clamping on my finger. I used my other hand to tip it over and it immediately shuffled towards the water and got swept away by the current. I smiled and look at my small sketch. Humming to myself, I stuffed the pad back in my bag and threw it over my head when I heard the sound of a car driving down the sand.

''Angel, they're here!'' I heard Keisha yell in excitement and ran up to meet them. She shoved Benedict out of the way and he yelped as he fell face first in the sand.

''You do remember I'm the one in charge of the food, right?'' He bitterly muttered and dusted the sand off.

I chuckled as he and I caught up with Keisha and met our friends who had just arrived. Hawa and Aseda jumped out of the car and into Keisha's arms.

''Guys! It's been so long!'' She laughed as they tackled her with hugs.

''Oh sure, hug her like she's the one who arranged the whole thing,'' Benedict playfully pouted, then let out a shriek when we all jumped on him, giving him a bone-crushing hug on the sand.

''Get off!'' His screeches were drowned out by our laughter. ''Sand is getting in my shoes! If my socks get dirty no one is eating tonight!'' His yells sounded annoyed, but there was a hint of amusement in his tone.

I giggled and helped him off the ground, smiling at his peeved expression. He wacked Aseda upside the head, who was too busy dusting the sand off her jeans.

''Honestly, no one appreciates me he- HAWA GET AWAY FROM THE FENCE IF IT BREAKS WE'LL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.''  Benedict shrieked and sped over to Hawa who was sitting on the fence.

''That boy is going to have grey hairs before he turns sixteen,'' Aseda snickered and draped her arm around me in a side hug. Her long brown hair blew in my mouth, which made me sputter in disgust.

''You really should follow my example and cut your hair, at least get a pixie cut or something,'' I muttered. 

''And look like I just came out of the black panther movie? No thank you,'' She sniggered and pulled her hair up into a high ponytail. Our heads snapped back to the small house at the sound of Benedict screaming.

''Let's get back before Benny actually decides to murder someone,'' I nodded and followed  Aseda across the sand, the setting sun basking the backs of our heads in a warm glow.