Chapter Eight

Desdemona wasted no time making arrangements for Charlotte and Vagatha to go live with her mother in the forest. She told the servants and other members of the court that this decision was made in order to protect the girls, claiming that enemies of war could try to harm the children in order to intimidate the king's power. Although some were skeptical of the queen's order, they dare not oppose her. 

Poor Charlotte was greatly saddened by this arrangement. She was born in her father's castle and had lived there for seven years, it was the only home she had ever known. How could she just leave it? And so soon after her father had departed for war? Niffty was also greatly displeased by this for she felt that Charlotte was her responsibility until she reached her twelfth year and sending her to live in the forest meant she would be removed from the nurse's care too soon.

"Your majesty, can't you just let me accompany the girls to your mother's house?" Niffty pleaded. "Surely your mother will need assistance in raising two girls."

"My mother will be able to handle just fine. She needs no assistance." Desdemona said.

"Then let me go with them for Charlotte's sake. She's still so young, hardly more than a baby. She has no mother and her father has gone to war, she needs someone to tend to her."

"My mother will make a fine nurturing figure."

"With all due respect, the princess does not know your mother. You're taking her away from her home and sending her to live with a stranger. She'll be so frightened and confused."

"Enough! A servant cannot stay with them! It will give away their position in the royal family."

"But I could dress as a peasant. I won't tell a soul that the girls are royalty. Please your majesty-"

"Not another word or heads will roll! Starting with you!" She snapped. "And when the time comes for the guillotine to fall on your neck, I'll make your precious little princess watch!"

Niffty shuddered in horror at the queen's threat. She wanted very much to protest further but was feared for the well-being of Charlotte so she said nothing more. To make matters worse she wouldn't even let Niffty say goodbye to Charlotte when the time came for her to leave. She was only allowed to pack a satchel of peasant clothes for the little princess to wear. The queen forbade Charlotte to bring any of her rich clothes, silk dresses,  jewelry, toys, or books with her. She couldn't even bring her three "Treasures" which were; Her storybook with beautifully painted illustrations, a lovely ceramic doll her father had given her for her fifth birthday, and her mother's necklace. 

On Charlotte's last night in the castle, Desdemona ruthlessly snatched the "Treasures"  from the child and ordered the servants to burn them. It made Charlotte burst into tears and she spent the rest of the night crying herself to sleep. But come the morning, she chose to depart from the castle in a calm and regal manner. She would shed no more tears. Not in front of her servants and people. She would leave with dignity. Sad dignity, but dignity nonetheless. 

 Vagatha was absolutely thrilled that she was going to be living with her grandmother again. She had felt cross living in this castle from day one, feeling confined and desperately longing to move about in the forest like she used to do. To feel the wind in her hair and to smell the grass. To have the freedom to run wherever she pleased and then rest by a creek, dipping her toes into the cool water. To climb the trees and look out at the beautiful world surrounding her. She never could understand why her mother hated the forest so much. In her opinion, it was more grand than any kingdom there ever was.

"You'll love the forest Raphael." She told her puppy during the coach ride. "You'll have all the space you want to run around in. You won't have to stay cooped up in my room anymore."