Chapter Forty

It started to rain later that day. Rain down very hard with sky turning a cloudy grey followed by thunder and lighting. Eli was safe in Charlotte's arms, tucked under her cloak, but the poor cat still trembled with fear. His mistress trembled as well. She never liked storms very much. But then again, who did?

Alastor led Charlotte very deep into the forest. Deeper than where she used to live with Dolores. There were many throns and stones about, and it was a much darker part of the forest. One could say that he was taking her to a part of the woods where very few humans went.  Of course in matters of Alastor's guardians, that's the ideal place to live. Speaking of which, as they drew closer to the house, Alastor felt himself become a little anxious about how Charlotte would react to his family.

He knew that humans did not take kindly to alps and old Dolores had told her many stories about how alps and other creatures like them couldn't be trusted. And in a sense, she wasn't entirely wrong. You defintely couldn't trust those particular three alps not to rob you blind or sell you a product that acutually works. Blitzo also didn't have much love for human beings. But they were no danger to someone like Charlotte. For all his hatred of humanity, Blitzo would never hurt an innocent.

"What a charming house." Charlotte spoke when she saw the little house in the distance. It was humble but comfortable and well-kept. Almost like Dolores's cottage except no grass, no well, and of course no roses. "Do you live here?"

"I do." He said.

"You know I've always been curious about who you live with. You've never really introduced me to them."

"Yes, about that. Before you meet them, there's something you should know. They're not exactly what you would expect. They're very...Different."

"Of course they're different. Everyone is different."

"No. What I mean is, they're not normal."

"My stepmother tried to have me killed, I'm not unaccustomed to people who live outside the norm."

"Fair point. Okay, here it is, they're not human."

"What do you mean they're not human? Don't tell me that you were raised by wolves or something like that."

"No I was raised by alps."

"Come again?"

"I was raised by short, shapeshifting, supernatural beings. Now don't be afraid, they won't harm you. They may cheat and steal from you, but they won't harm you. In fact maybe you should wait here while I warm them up to meeting you."

"Alright."

When they reached the front door, he stepped inside and left Charlotte to wait under a part of the front where she would be sheltered from the rain. The door was cracked, so she could hear the conversation.

"Finally you've come home." She heard a woman's voice say. "You were gone longer than you said."

"I know, I know, but something came up." She heard Alastor say.

"Like what?" She heard a man's voice ask.

"Well I have a little favor to ask of you all."

"Whatever it is, the answer is no." Came a third male voice.

"You could at least hear me out first." Alastor protested. "Anyway I have who's in a bit of trouble."

"Do you mean Charlotte?" The woman asked.

"Yes. At the moment she can't really go home. It's not safe for her at the castle so I was wondering if maybe she could spend a few days here?"

"Absolutely not!" The third voice said. "I am not allowing another human to stay here for free."