Chapter Seventy-Two

Dolores had her door locked and her windows barred. She sat by the hearth, brewing something in a pot that hung over the fire, throwing things in and speaking so very quietly. Stopping every few seconds to make sure no one was near by to hear her words. Stuff like this always posed as a huge risk but sometimes she considered it a necessary risk.

"Loyalty from sparrow's blood and joy from magpie's eyes. Wisdom from raven's brain and love from a dove's heart. Bubble, bubble, wine of love."

The pot soon had a thick, red, blood-like substance, boiling inside. Dolores began to stir it and then spoon it into a large glass bottle.

"There we go, the perfect anniversary gift for Mr. and Mrs. Becker." She thought. "One drink of this and they will feel as young and in love as they did when they first met."

Knock-knock!

At the sound of someone at the door, Dolores felt instant panic. She couldn't let someone discover her using witchcraft. They would surely burn her at the stake or hang her, even if she was only doing something as harmless and innocent as helping a married couple renew their love. Oh curses on those paranoid fanatics. Following their faith was one thing, but attacking someone for being different was completely uncalled for.

"Who is it?" She called, nervously covering the pot and hiding all her spells and potions underneath the floor boards.

"It's me Madame. Alastor."

Dolores released a strong breath of relief upon learning it was him. Now calm, she unlocked the door and invited him in.

"Oh am I glad to see you. For a minute I was scared it was that nosey priest, Father Schneider. He's always spying on me and spreading rumors about me giving people the plague, the freak."

"I didn't know you were having problems like that Dolores. Want me to find him and scare him into thinking the devil is after him?" Alastor chuckled.

"Thank you dear but not necessary. Father Bauer is a friend of mine and he's keeping that nuisance away from me."

"You friends with a priest? Now there's something I never thought was possible."

"Yes I know, my relationship with clergy men has always been a complicated one. But Charlotte's mother was a devout Christian and I know she would have wanted her daughter to be raised on the same faith, so I asked Father Bauer to teach her about the faith here. That way I could make sure he was teaching her the way her mother would have preferred and not forcing that madness Father Schneider spouts."

"And you didn't have any issues with him?"

"Father Bauer doesn't know exactly what religion or faith I practice, but he's assured me that as long as my practices don't pose as a threat to anyone, he sees no reason not to treat me with anything less than respect and kindness. Now on a different subject, what brings you here? You know Charlotte doesn't live with me anymore."

"I know. She's living with me now."

"Oh? So you finally married her? And you didn't invite me to the wedding?"

"What?!" He cried, turning red in the face. "No! We're not married!"

"You're living together and you're not married? Sweetie, you are aware of whatk ind of society we're living in, aren't you?"

"No! It's not like that! She's living with me for her own safety! She can't go back to the castle."

"Why not? What's happened?"

"Well Dolores the thing is, and I say this with deep respect, your daughter has gone completely insane. She tried to have Charlotte killed by an assassin. I helped her get away and now she's hiding out with me and my family until it's safe."