Chapter Thirteen

In the morning Dolores made a most delicious breakfast for everyone. Pancakes and jam made from strawberries with fresh milk to drink. Although Alastor was not one for sweet things so Dolores added corn meal to his pancakes to make it more savory. The peculiar looking boy was very grateful to compassionate woman and showed his appreciation by cleaning up the kitchen once everyone had eaten.

"You're a wonderful cook ma'am." He told her as he finished washing the last plate. "I'd wager that you're better than a royal chef."

"Thank you." Dolores replied.

"I myself can't thank you enough for letting me stay in your lovely home and again I apologize for any alarm I may have caused last night."

"What impeccable manners you have young man. Most boys I know are dreadfully rude and they smart off to their elders."

"Well I wouldn't dare say one cross word to you. You saved my life, I am eternally in your debt."

He bowed respectfully before her which she found to be unusual for a peasant boy.

"Young man." She said. "If I may ask, what in the world were you doing in that Godforsaken storm last night? Where your parents?"

"Well um...The thing is I don't know."

"Don't tell me that they heartlessly abandoned you in that blizzard."

"No ma'am you misunderstand. I don't know who my parents are."

"You're an orphan?" Charlotte said with sympathy.

"I suppose. I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?" Vagatha asked.

"You may find this a little silly but I kind of have amnesia. Months ago I hit my head real hard and when I woke up I couldn't remember a thing except for my name. The rest was completely forgotten. Who I was, where I came from, my family, all gone."

"How is it that you can't remember any of that but you can remember your name?"

"Probably because of this."

Alastor held up his hand which bore a a particular ring he was wearing. It was silver, bearing an engraved symbol and the engraved words;

My Dearest Love

"I was wearing this when I woke up and it's the only clue I have to what happened before I hit my head."

"And to this day you still don't remember?" Charlotte asked.

"No."

"Have you be alone since then?"

"Oh no. You see some nice folks saw me when I got hit and they brought me to their home to see to my injury. After I woke up they tried to help me find my family but no one close by had lost a child. So I've been living with them ever since."

"Why weren't you with them last night?"

"I snuck away to go hunting and by the time the storm began I had gone too far."

"Do you know the way back?" Dolores asked.

"Yes. Last night I was snow blind but now that the blizzard has calm down I should be able to get home. No doubt Millie will take a switch to me when I get there though. She's told me countless times not to go off alone."

"Hmm...Millie." Dolores pondered. "You know I'm not familiar with anyone around here named Millie."

"My folks are a discreet bunch. They don't fit in well with villages."

"Are they travelers? Like gypsies or peddlers?"

"No. I mean one of them did do a lot of traveling for some time but he's officially settled down here."