Chapter 37: Kindness, love and Truth

Hello dear readers. I am currently on  a business trip 1600miles from home, but amid all the work and catching up I came back to work on this story. I hope you are enjoying it and if you do please take the time to leave some love.

-

Tea with the other local Tamerian young noble women had gone better than expected.  All the young ladies who had been selected as company in her house were polite, courteous and had kindness in their eyes along with their curiosity. Adira made a mental note to thank Yeona for wisdom and care in her selections on Adira's behalf for the invitations.

She received one back a few days later from one of the young woman named Olivia-a Tamerian who's family had been living in Shaynari for three generations as political liaisons. 

Adira accepted.

As was custom, Shay accompanied Adira across town-her own beautiful Shaynari shadow.

While the young Tamerian noble women sat at one table, talked and had tea all the Shaynari handmaids sat off to the side at another table just a few feet away. While the Tamerian laughed out loud and smiled and spoke excitedly exchanging gossip the companion Shaynari voices were so quiet you could hardly tell they were speaking unless you watched their lips move.

No one else seemed to pay attention to the difference from one table to another. In fact it was if the Tamerian women had grown so completely accustomed to their Shaynari slaves being off to the side that they no longer even noticed their presence at all.

Even though Adira had a nice time with the other noble women at tea she found herself still feeling quite the outsider.

Was there really anyone she could become friends with in the way she had been friends with Lillia?

No, her mind answered simply.

Lillia had been her friend from the moment that Lord Warren had taken her mother into his house.

Other young Tamerian women had made fun of Adira for not knowing all the specificity of Tamerian noble customs. After all Adira had been born into a house with little prospect.

Lillia had not cared about Adira's upbringing.

She had sat next to Adira and helped her learn about the ins and out's of Tamerian society-those things that you could never learn from a book or a social tutor-the unwritten rules.

She was older now and she very much doubted that anyone here in Shaynari would afford her the same courtesy and assistance.

Still, Olivia seemed genuinely kind.

 "Did you have a nice time?" Adira asked turning towards her handmaid on the carriage ride back.

"Yes," Shay answered plainly.

"I'm glad," Adira let out a sigh of relief.

"Why do you care so much if I do?" asked Shay and Adira was startled by the frank question.

Ever since that day she had send Shay away with orders to enjoy herself her handmaid had returned with a more pleasant disposition. Still, the frank question was decidedly out of character.

Adira mulled over her answer and then looked Shay straight in the eyes.

She wanted someone she could talk candidly with.

She wanted someone to speak with and while Shay had told her that they could not be friends a part of her still wished that she and Shay could have some kind of an understanding between the two of them.

It doesn't hurt to test the waters, she told herself quietly.

The undertow could very well pull you out, her mothers voice answered back.