Chapter 41: Begging

Hope you enjoy this chapter,  it is a long one and a lot happens and a lot of dominoes fall into place...

-

Her father stopped as soon as she did and Adira felt a tight lump in her throat.

It was the first time anyone else had brought up her singing. A part of her had hoped that she would be able to escape the chains of her gift here across the Midnight Sea. 

Adira noticed that his posture had stiffened as much as her had at the sound of the man's voice.

"Evening Lord Tafford," her fathers voice was polite as they turned to face the speaker.

The man was tall, even by Tamerian standard, but he had a delicate way about him that screamed of nobility and a life without any bodily challenge. He was younger than she thought he would have been.

"Good evening Warden Rathor, a pleasure as always, and this must be your lovely daughter." Lord Tafford extended his hand and Adira offered hers as was custom.

"Adira may I present the Governor of Shaynari, Lord Tafford."

So this was the man who her father answered to, the one in charge of all the political goings-on of the country.  She had heard much about him, and his enjoyment of luxury and hate of Shaynari.

"My lord," her voice sounded tight even to her own ears.

"No need to be nervous my dear, I for one am ecstatic to know you will be joining us here. The songbird of Tameria. Finally we will have some culture."

"My daughter will not be singing this evening," Devon Rathor said firmly. "This is a party in her honor, it would be rude to ask her to work at it."

"Ah but is it really work to show off such a gift?" Lord Tafford raised a dark eyebrow.

"I am afraid I do not sing anymore my Lord," Adira managed.

"Pity," he frowned and then recovered. "No matter, I am sure you will do well here regardless."

"I did not know if you would be attending this evening," her father changed the subject smoothly.

"Yes, well I confess I had not planned on it, but I am hosting a well-to-do family from the Province and they had an invite so naturally as a good host I could not let them go alone."

"Naturally."

"Speaking of, I must slip away, leave you two to make the grand entrance and whatnot."

"Thank you my Lord," Adira gave a curtsy.

"The pleasure is all mine," he gave a sweeping bow and continued off down the hallway in the opposite direction.

"Yeona."

"Yes my Lord?"

She was so quiet that Adira had almost forgotten that she was walking with them.

"See to it that one of the servants attends to his needs and that he does not get lost in my estate."

"Of course my lord," Yeona gave a bow and disappeared leaving Shay standing, silent and waiting in her wake.

"I am sorry," Adira managed.

"For what?" Devon frowned.

"I...for saying that I don't sing."

"Adira," Devon Rathor looked down at his daughter and touched her face. "I promise you, as much as it would bring me joy to hear you sing again, I would never ask something of you that would cause you such distress," He offered a soft smile. "Now, lets get down to your party."