Chapter 38: An Unexpected Ally

Finally back with another chapter. Hope you enjoy. Please leave some love if you do.

-

As the sun the sun began to set over the canal the sound of Tamerian hoof beats began to draw to close for Imre's comfort.

Sleep had been light and short. Every sound had woke him and the Canal was full of noise during the day, the sound of his fellow Shaynari under the lash and the barked orders of their Tamerian drivers.

Something told Imre that this time was different.

There were too many hooves to be a messenger, which meant hunting party and Imre very much doubted that there was anyone else who had dared to break free and run away on the Canal after killing their master.

He climbed the nearest tree, the burn on his shoulder screaming in protest, the scab over Verrek's brand breaking open and bleeding once more.

Every other cut had closed and healed thanks to the properties of the Kirrini flower. The sweet flesh of the plant was still sticky on his skin.  It had worked its magic as he slept under the soft forest canopy.

Its roots had filled his stomach enough to carry on and the petals had staved off the fever that had threatened to set in.

It had taken everything in Imre not to use every drop of the plant.

The gods cursed those who dared take all of a Kirrini plant. Even on the edge of death you were to leave one stem, one bloom alive so it could continue to grow.

While Imre had given up in believing in the gods long ago, he could not afford any ill fortune now so he had left one stem as was custom.

His stomach growled for it as he climbed higher into the tree and settled on a thick branch.

The horses came to a halt on the opposite bank.

Imre leaned forward closing his eyes to listen. While he could hear the barking of orders and the anger in the Tamerian voices he was too far away to make out any conversation.

He wanted to run, like a wild animal, knowing he was being hunted staying put just felt wrong, yet staying was what was more safe.

If he tried to run now he would draw too much attention.

Darkness descended quickly which let Imre finally see the glowing light from the city in the distance. It was faint on the horizon. From his place in the tree he could see his chance to get away in the soft, distant, glow from lamps and towers of the port city.

Home.

No, not home, he answered back, It hadn't been home in a long time.

She is all you have left of home, and she is still alive. She waits for you to keep your promise.

Imre closed his eyes.

And then the sound of muffled speech on his side of the canal reached his ears.

Looking behind Imre saw the faint flicker of torches.

His stomach dropped. They were walking his way.

He didn't  posses the skills to his his track in the woods.

If they were this close and they found where he had come up from the bank they would find him.

Now he had no choice.

He had to take the risk, he had to move.

Imre swung down from the tree.