{ 10. Memories Etched in Ink }

Written: 12/29/21

"Hey man! How have you been?"

"Carson! I've been pretty good. What about you?"

"I've been pretty good Vince. I was hanging out with Mason and Tempest the other day, ended up getting food and then a movie at Mason's."

"Yeah, Whirlwind told be about that. She also told me you got a new tattoo. What is it?"

"Oh, yeah. I got skull on my chest. Simple line art one in black and red."

"Sounds cool. Speaking of, me and Whirlwind had this idea and she wanted to know if you would be down for it?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Wanna get matching tattoos with me, Tempest, and Mason?"

"Oh fuck yeah. What are we getting?"

"Small diamonds, black and another color of our own choosing."

"Sounds sick man. I'm in."

"Great."

...

   The weather mocked Vincent as he stood with Mason and Carson. There wasn't a cloud in the cold sky, but it was still grey. Cold sunlight illuminated the world, a small breeze ruffling the flowers in their hands.

   "Tempest..." Mason begins, walking forward and placing four marigolds in the vase next to the gravestone. "It's been a little bit since we've all been here together. I'm sorry it's taken us so long."

   "Hey there Whirlwind. I've missed you a bunch." Carson's voice is a lot more quiet than normal. It was almost as if that speaking too loud would break something. "I got my tongue pierced finally. Remember how we used to talk bout that in math?" Carson whispers, putting in 4 green chrysanthemum's in the vase. He stepped back, standing next to Mason. This left Vincent on his own, staring at the black marble.

   "Hi love. I miss you, a lot. Talia got her first new earrings today. We went this morning, before lunch. She picked out a set of red, blue, and purple flowers." Vincent's voice was rough, soft and scratchy from not being used. He didn't talk, unless he was alone with either Mason, Carson, or Talia. "I'll bring her here next time, ok? She's got a present for you." Talia was their daughter. Tempest died during childbirth, leaving Vincent with a newborn. "She misses her mom, and I do to." Quickly, but carefully, Vincent puts the flowers he had in his hands in the vase. A bundle of Forget-Me-Nots and hyacinth's. Blue, purple, yellow, and green mixed in the pot.

"We'll see you again soon, Tempest. I'll bring fresh flowers next time Mrs. Dun gives me some," Mason says, his voice slightly choked. Carson gives the blonde a hug, his - once white, now green - hair blowing in the wind. It had picked up in their time there.

"Goodbye, love. I'll see you soon." Vincent walks away, the other two following behind him.

...

As Vincent walked up the hill to where Tempest was buried, the wind whipped his clothes around him. The cold but at his skin, making it sting. Well, sting and itch. The spot on his wrist would not stop itching. He wanted to scratch at it, but didn't out of fear. That's where the tattoo was, the one that he, Tempest, Mason, and Carson had gotten together. The original Crystal shard now had a rose vine wrapped around it, a tribute to their lost member.

"Hi love, I'm back." Vincent could feel the small smile on his face as he stood in front of the grave. It faltered, however, when he noticed the new vase next to the grave. It was a rather small one, but it was completely filled with roses. They ranged in shades of red and black, overflowing slightly with some on the ground.

'Her favorites...'

Vincent could only let the tears fall, smiling widely at the flowers in front of him. He picked one up, a deep velvety red, before sitting down. Leaning against the back end of the gravestone, Vincent begins to twirl the flower, humming lightly and whispering the it. Quietly, Vincent talks about what he had done that day, including what Talia had talked to him about.

{676 Words}