Cupid's Calling

The snow on the car rooftops glistened under the glow of the streetlights, and the people walking past huddled into their coats. While I sat alone—surrounded by the gentle chatter of others who, for some reason, chose to come out on Christmas night—I casually sipped my coffee, relishing in that peace that came with knowing I was finally content with the fact that he was gone. That I had no one to spend this Christmas with. That, for once, I could just focus on me.

But as I continued to gaze at the passersby, sporadically bringing my drink to my lips, a familiar baby, adorning a sliver of material over his waist, with fluttering wings attached to his back caught my attention in the reflection.

My head whipped around just in time to see him prop up his arrow, aiming it at my head.

"Not again," I growled. Abandoning my drink, I leapt at the flying creature, reaching for his arrow.

But he took off through the cafe, past the other customers.

I chased after him, not caring that I was the only person who could see him. Not caring that others complained as I bumped their tables, their drinks spilling from their cups. Because if I didn't grab those stupid arrows from him, he'd get me.

I couldn't fall in love again. My heart couldn't possibly handle another heartbreak.

Cupid glanced over his shoulder, winking at me as he zipped down the hallway towards the toilets, and I hurried after him.

But as I rounded the corner, I came to a halt.

Bow propped up, arrow aimed at my head, a determined gleam glittered in his eyes.

"Please," I begged. "Not again."

As if on cue, a man, slightly taller than me with dark curly locks brushing across his forehead, stumbled out of the bathroom, an arrow already sticking out of his head. He glanced over at me, almost dazed, and his own Cupid hovered behind him, waiting.

I turned back to mine. "Please... don't do this. Give me some more time. Just a few months."

He lowered his bow, but sympathy didn't consume his gaze. Instead, he seemed almost... satisfied. And that's when it hit me.

Piercing through the back of my head, the sharp throbs of love at first sight began to consume my body. A small baby flew into my peripherals, coming from behind me. They brought backup this time and got me where I least expected.

And as my eyes met the tall man, already feeling the magic starting to set in and the memory of winged love creatures slowly dissipating, the Cupid behind me warningly whispered in my ear, "You don't get to choose who you fall for or when it happens."