Prologue

***********************************************************************

"I'll clean it up right now," Merliah Summers said in a rush, hoping her mom would just drop the subject. Merliah's dalmatian had peed all over her mother's expensive heels, and her mother was not  happy about it.

"Can I tell you something?" her mother spoke up. "I never did like that dog of yours."

Merliah huffed in annoyance. "I know. That's why Sally is my  dog and my responsibility, not yours." Merliah's eyes grew to the size of saucers, realizing that she had just rudely snapped back at her mother.

"Do not  use that tone with me!" her mother yelled. "Go to your room, now ."

"Yes," Merliah squeaked out. She hurriedly tore from the living room and ran upstairs. She felt like crying for a few seconds, but the feeling soon passed when she realized that her mother had unknowingly allowed her to leave the conversation without letting things get anymore heated than they could have.

When Merliah reached her room, she closed the door behind her and sprung onto her new bed. Then again, the whole house was new to her. This being the family's first night at their new house and all.

Sally, her dalmatian, came out from hiding under the bed and joined Merliah on top.

"It's okay, Sally," Merliah cooed. "Mom didn't actually threaten to get rid of you." She pet her beloved dog a few times as a way to comfort her.

Merliah's thoughts then went back to her mother. Merliah did love her. Truly, she did, and she knew that her mother loved her back. Things had just been changing for the family at such a fast pace lately. First, her mom got a new boyfriend which then resulted in her mother finding a new job. Her new job was too far from their old home, so they then moved into this new house.

Merliah liked their new house. It wasn't thrust in the middle of the city like an apartment, but was instead a comfy home just outside of Queens. The only thing that she didn't like about the move was the effect it had on her mother. Her mom was always acting grumpy lately. Of course, unless her new boyfriend was around. Then she reverted back to her old happy-go-lucky-self immediately. Sometimes Merliah just couldn't figure her mother out.

But if Merliah truly thought about it, she really didn't like the move. Her new house meant that she would have to spend her senior year in a new school with teens she would have to acquaint herself with. Although, like she ever could. Merliah was prone to shyness, barely able to hold much of a conversation with anyone. The very thought of having to meet new people frightened her.

Merliah sighed, dreading how things would be once the summer ended, and school started back up again. Her eyes then fell upon the window. She hadn't even looked out it yet to see what the view was like.

Curious, she got off her bed and pulled up the blinds. Surprise instantly hit her. The view was nothing more then the next door neighbors' window. With disappointment at this discovery, Merliah looked closer into the neighbors' window, only to spot a boy about her age inside.

He was cute, with somewhat messy dark brown hair and a slim build. His skin was light, and his eyes appeared to be dark brown. Merliah couldn't take her eyes off of him. She found him very attractive. She couldn't deny that.

After staring at him for a little too long, the boy suddenly turned from whatever he was doing and headed towards his window. Merliah's heart practically jumped out of her chest as she ducked below her own window and hid out of his sight. That  would have been awkward.

She pulled her knees to her chest and grinned, her new crush on the boy next door filling her with excitement. Maybe things wouldn't be so bad here after all.

Author's Note: Don't be a silent reader! Remember to vote, comment, share, and give me your theories and thoughts! Constructive criticism and any criticism for that matter is always welcome! Know any other Andrew Garfield Spider-Man fans? Let them know about this story!