Chapter 1: School Daze

Today's mission: have an actual conversation with Peter Parker. Can't be too hard, right? Wrong. Let's just say the most I've ever spoken to him is about one or two words, and those were simple "hi's" in the hallway and a few "excuse me's." Peter likes to ride his skateboard around the school, so trying to start a conversation before he rides off is kind of difficult. Plus, I'm a naturally shy and awkward person, so that doesn't help either.

Out of the corner of my left eye, I spot the somewhat lanky boy himself coming down the hallway. He has his skateboard tucked under his arm as usual.

Excitement fills inside of me just at his mere presence. Did I ever mention that crushes are both the best and worst things ever?

"Hey, it's, uh, Peter, right?" says a feminine voice.

What the-Who said that? I turn my head abruptly from my locker and to the left. My heart burns with jealousy at the sight of popular girl Kelsey Chow talking to Peter. She's the one who said that, but why would she be talking to Peter? I would think he's a little below her level, and I'm also pretty sure that she's dating someone right now.

I don't like being an eavesdropper, but since I'm only about four feet away from them, I can't help it. Straining my ears, I listen in.

"I really like your photos," Kelsey compliments Peter nicely, not in a flirty way but in a genuine manner.

"Oh thanks," Peter says. He turns his head to the side then looks back at her. "Thanks," he repeats.

"Uh, listen. Are-Are you busy Friday night?" she asks him.

I want to scream, literally want to scream. If I didn't know any better, it sounds like Kelsey is trying to ask Peter out! What a jerk she is, cheating on her boyfriend like that. Although, I'm more mad at the fact that she's asking out my crush before I even got a chance to complete my mission and talk to him.

I strain my ears to hear more. It looks like I missed Peter's response to her question. I wonder if he said "yes" or "no."

Kelsey laughs. "Cool," she says. "Uh, can you take pictures of my boyfriend's car? I just, ya know, really wanna frame a good one for his birthday."

Relief washes over me. Phew, she wasn't asking Peter out after all. False alarm.

"That's really nice of you," Peter smiles. I can sense a hint of disappointment in his voice. Then again, I can't blame him. Kelsey is undeniably hot, and it would probably be any boy's dream to have a chance to go out with her. I only wish that I looked as gorgeous as her.

"Wow, that's such a nice thought," Peter says kindly to her. "Um, yeah, I'll look at the old schedule."

"Okay," Kelsey says.

With a final polite smile at Kelsey, Peter drops his skateboard to the floor and takes off down the hall.

A determination like nothing I've ever felt before takes over me. Peter's interaction with Kelsey was a firm reminder that at any point another girl could come out of no where and ruin everything. I have to start making moves on Peter now if I ever hope of getting him to notice me.

I slam my locker shut and speed walk down the hall. My plan is to catch Peter at his locker and try to start up a conversation with him there. Easy enough, right?

When I reach the hallway leading to where Peter's locker is, I'm met with disappointment. I was hoping he would be the only one near his locker, but nope. There's a couple making out passionately right next to Peter's locker.