Chapter 2: Never Stalk Your Crush

***********************************************************************

It's after school, and I'm darn hungry. So, like any other Friday afternoon, I rummage through the pantry for snacks. A smile lights up on my face when I find my favorite snack, barbecue seasoned pistachios. I grab a small pack of them and close the pantry door.

The sound of footsteps reaches my ears, followed by my mom strutting into the kitchen. She has a handbag on her arm, which means she is either about to go shopping, or she has just come home from shopping.

"Before you go upstairs, I want you to take Sally out for a pee," she says.

"On it," I say immediately. I already start heading towards the back door.

"Wait," my mom calls after me.

I stop in my tracks and look back at my mother, awaiting for what she has to say. As long as it's not any mean comments about Sally again, then I'll be fine.

"Tom is coming over later, so I want you to be on your best behavior if you're here when he comes," she says, giving me a firm look.

"Okay," I say. I honestly don't really care much for my mom's boyfriend. He's nice. I guess, but I find him and his impromptu visits more annoying than anything.

When my mom appears to have nothing more to say, I search around the house for Sally. I smile to myself when I find her curled up under the dining table.

I crouch down and call for her. "Sally!"

Sally's ears immediately prick to attention before she stands on her legs and comes out from under the dining table.

"Come on, girl," I encourage her on as I make my way towards the back door.

Sally does as she is told and follows after me. When we reach the door, I open it for her then follow her outside, making sure to close the door quietly behind me. I feel like getting some fresh air after having an eventful day at school. Of course, my eyes naturally drift to Peter's house next door, hoping just to get a peak of the brunette boy through one of the windows.

With no such luck, I shove my hands into my hoodie pockets and start pacing around the back yard. The school day certainly had been eventful with its ups and downs. Sure, I finally got to talk to Peter, but that's about the only good thing that happened. Finding out that Peter has feelings for Gwen had completely ruined my day.

Suddenly, I hear the sound of a door squeaking open coming from next door. Unable to suppress my curiosity, I jog towards the fence separating Peter's house from my house. I think that I heard the sound from their front door, so I climb the part of the fence closest to the front of the house. When I reach the top and look out over the fence, my eyes land on Peter walking away from his house and down a sidewalk.

An outlandish idea crosses my mind. What if I...say...followed him? The idea continues to play around in my mind. Sure, it's probably the most stupid idea...not to mention a bit stalkerish, but then again, it is a Friday afternoon, meaning that I don't have to go to bed early if I don't want too, and if I did want to spend the rest of the day out of the house, I could.