Chapter Seventeen: Claudia Antonik II

The exchange between Claudia and Antonio was wordless but they both received the message behind the dirty looks they gifted.

Claudia's discourteous side eye conveyed 'leave' just as coldly as her words would have been.

Obliging, Antonio switches his gaze rapidly between the two women, a symbol of his disapproval.

Almenira on the other hand, was not so completely oblivious to not notice the man's disdain for her and tried to obscure herself from his view behind Claudia's form.

The tense atmosphere drained as soon as he was away but it was quickly replaced by the tension of wanting to do so much but restraining oneself to little.

Claudia gives a closed lipped smile before she moves to the stove.

"Preference for anything, Dear?"

"No...except if you had eggs in mind, I don't really like eggs unless they're cooked a certain way."

Claudia hums amusedly as she bends to pick out her pans from the cabinet, "Picky eater. I expected that...Oh, that man." She sighed after examining the distasteful organization of her utensils.

Almenira doesn't realize she's staring at the woman and her curves that were highlighted from crouched form until she makes a sudden move to stand.

"How does french toast and sausage sound?"

"Fine, thank you."

Almenira hesitates for a moment, unsure what to do with herself. It's the polite thing to offer help with cooking but she knew Claudia would insist she sit but if she sits then she'd have to fill the silence by talking. And talk about what exactly? Tell me more about the accident but less about Matthew Frazier, really, and more about who your husband is, do you still like him? How long were you together? Why'd you break up? Is it because you prefer women? Do you prefer me?

"Claudia?"

"Hm?"

"You know, I don't have your number."

"Oh!"

Claudia let's the yolk from an egg fall into a bowl before she turns towards the girl.

"Let me give it to you,"

Restraining herself from grinning too broadly, Almenira ducks her head as she reaches into her pocket for her phone. Instant anxiety takes hold of her when her fingers slip across nothing but smooth denim.

Though she was only across the street and in the company of Claudia Antonik, one of her only friends, she felt naked and vulnerable at the thought that her means for communication to the outside world was missing. Something instinctual was trying desperately to convince her that she needed it. Just in case.

"Ah, shit. I forgot it at home."

"Oh, well remind me later,"

"Actually I'll just run over to get it."

Claudia's mouth did a strange twitch but she presented a tight lipped smile and turned back around to her stove wordlessly.

Almenira hesitantly rose from her chair, feeling a bit unsure of whether she should leave or not given the woman's lack of acknowledgement. Yet she squeals out a "I'll be back" and scurries out of the room.

Once she reached outside, it was as if a noose had been lifted from around her neck and she could breathe again. Logically, she knew there was nothing to be anxious about but there was a dreadful feeling that came with being inside of that house she couldn't shake.