Chapter 43 - Deadcrush (Pt. 4)

Made 12/30-31/2021

Welcome back! What do you think happens after death? Do we ascend to an existential plane? Reincarnate into a different organism? Or cease to exist entirely?

Fact Of The Day: You share 80 million bacteria in a single kiss.

▪︎-||°^°||-▪︎

"My name is (Y/n). Funny enough, I think you and I are connected." You explained somewhat of your relation, not sure how to treat it. This one had a body, but does that mean it had a mind? A conscious?

"They stripped me down." It was gaining more intelligent with its surroundings, slowly becoming the violent creature you knew it to be.

"It's okay." You attempted to calm it down, half wanting to help it and half not wanting to get caught. "We're going to get you out, so don't worry."

That appeared to soothe it, at least for a little while. It unclenched its fists, sprawling out its fingers to go against yours on the glass. You smiled, exchanging this small moment.

But, it didn't feel very happy. Your vision was starting to see doubles and your mind going dizzy, disassociating with the creature. It tilted its head slightly, watching your hands start sliding down the glass.

"Hello. Hello." It followed you down, hands never leaving yours. You felt like it were draining you, powering itself to become free, but for some reason- you couldn't set yourself free.

You weren't controlling it; it was controlling you. Was this why it was being kept in a casing? A shield?

Summoning a figure of your own, you attempted to attack the specimen. Instead of burning it, or hurting it in some kind of way. . the creature absorbed your figure.

There goes my last defense.

You could feel your heart slowing, meeting pace with the amount of life resonating in your chest. Looking up, you met its empty eyes.

This wasn't the look of innocence.

It was a look of pure apathy, not having the slightest consideration of anything other than itself. It was like a coil was pulling you towards the creature, eyes drawing you further in until there wasn't anything separating the two of you. You should have known that face by now.

"And this is why I didn't want to bring you." He slipped an arm around your waist, pulling you away from the glass and towards a shadowed corner, hidden behind a wall. "Are you dead yet?"

"Not yet!" You shook your head, trying to stand up with the help of the wall. 'But I sure as hell feel close,' you wanted to say. It was as if you had anemia all of a sudden, fatigue and shivers hitting you like a freight train.

"I'm taking you back. I told you to stay outside in the first place, but someone never wants to listen." He caught you before you fell and hit your head on something, setting you down on the floor.

"Impress, impress. Show off for what? A blade to the throat? Make yourself a contraband?" The figure mocked you, hands still against the glass.

Does it know what I'm thinking? This is my worst nightmare.

"Dirt." It pointed directly at you, antagonizing smile sending an unneeded message that you may as well die to its hand.

"Yeah, no. That thing has to go." You gained all the energy you could muster from what it left you and stood up, determination keeping you active. (No, this is not Undertale. Wrong fandom.)

"No." He gave you a simple reply, hands meeting your shoulders to push you back down to the ground. "The moment you walk out there, you're going to get killed. If it's not by that, it's the soldiers, and if you're really lucky, then me."

"But-"

"No." He wasn't leaving room for you to object anymore, having made up his mind. "Stay here and don't move."

"But I can help! You saw the-"

"Please."

Ugh. The magic word.

". . . Okay." Your heart ached, conflicted. You didn't know how to feel or really what to do, but he was telling you to stay, so you were going to abide. Just this once.

He sent you a calm, patient gesture, before running off in the opposite direction. It was unlike him to act such a way, but it's not as if you hated it. If anything, it was an improvement of how he acted before: taunting, iniquitous, slightly execrable.

What am I saying? He's still like that. For all I know, I might be too.

You sighed, doing your best to just calm yourself, regain a bit of your sanity and wait for him to return.

He'll be back soon. Right? I mean, unless he gets in trouble. Or hurt. Or stuck in a trap of some kind.

Okay, now you were making yourself anxious. This was not a part of the plan.

In the next room was the two scientists, pacing around and picking up littered pieces of their shredded research. Around the wall you were behind was the large room, where you were sure that the specimen was waiting for your return. 'It didn't have a conscious' - that's what you were telling yourself. Whatever it was, it was feeding off of your emotions and thus responding from that stimulus, just like all of your other hallucinations. But if that's normal when they're hallucinations, would it change if manifested into a physical, solid body? Could this sole hallucination feed into everyone else's head as much as your own?

That girl did say something about that, where it would start to become unpredictable. Do they really think that they could control something like this without a proper host? It would be impossible!

The amount of torture you endured to gain control of these hallucinations would be unmatched against millions of others, suddenly going through the same thing, except, of course, without a happy ending. The amount of deaths that could come from one single hallucination would cause a tempest of mortality, multiplying at a rate that they couldn't predict.

It was attempting to learn from the environment. Everything you did and felt was being embedded into it, making it more and more alive.

The amount of death to come from one thing. . it would be too drastic.

I have to think of something to do. What would a hallucination's weakness be? - Well, actually, I don't know if you would call this one a hallucination anymore.

You peeked around the corner, eyes meeting those same empty ones.

This one is physical: embodied. That would mean that it could be killed in some kind of way, right? A hallucination is amorphous and not specifically alive in the first place, like a ghost, so there's no killing those.

Unless. . .

you kill the host?

WORD COUNT: 1136

▪︎-||°^°||-▪

Thanks for reading!