Chapter Seven

DADA

Jordan's eyes looked around in confusion and suspicion, not finding her grandmother that was right there the second before. Where had she gone?

"Peek-a-boo!" said the familiar voice.

Her eyes widened in surprise when she saw her grandmother standing right in front of her, face resting between her hands. She giggled in delight, screaming in amusement. How had she not seen her before? Her grandmother had to have an especial talent. She knew that she wouldn't have left her alone!

Her mother walked into the bedroom where she had been lying in the cot.

Jordan moved her head, surprised that her mother was there too. Around that time, she was usually away from her, doing Saint's knows what while she stayed with her grandmother, playing.

"Are you back already, dear?" asked Misses Hoult, turning to Laura.

"Philip told me to come back inside, he wants to deal with the horse on his own. And lunch is ready, by the way," Laura said.

"That boy is going to get hurt!" Misses Hoult complained, getting Jordan from the cot and carrying her. "I swear that if it wasn't for you, he would have gotten hurt already. Thank you for watching him, Laura."

"It's alright, Misses Hoult. I know you can't stand in the sun and it's good that you watch Jordan when I'm out there," said Laura.

The medik had said that Misses Hoult had an illness that it had no way to cure. Vitiligo, they called it. Apparently, she had for quite some time, but never really cared about it until it got to her face, besides she had very pale skin, which made it very hard to notice at first. It had been getting worse with stress of getting older and being scared of not being there for Philip in a few years, though Laura had been calming her down and promising her that she would be fine and there to even see Jordan grow up.

At that point, Jordan was almost six months old and had been so big that Laura had really started to need a bit of help since Jordan seemed to get the mischievous side of Kaz in her, trying always to do something – if she was quiet for too long, she was plotting something.

"You'll never know what I caught her doing today," said Misses Hoult, walking down the stairs. "Can you believe she was sitting in front of the bedroom mirror and waving at herself?"

Laura laughed.

"Are you serious? Oh, Saints, do we have a narcissist in our little home?" she got Jordan from Misses Hoult's arms. "You got that from your father, I'm sure," she joked.

"Is as energetic as I'm him, I'm sure," agreed Misses Hoult. "Talking about him, how has Kaz been?"

Laura sat on the ready table as Misses Hoult plaid the bell on the kitchen window to call for the boys.

"It's been well, but very busy," she said. "Got a grisha on his payroll now, quite the woman, he said. A Heartrender."

"You don't mind that he works with a man and two women?" Misses Hoult asked. Laura smiled and prepared herself for the normal speech. "If you start talking about how you two have nothing going on, we'll have an argument. You clearly care about him a lot."

"That I do," Laura agreed. "I care about him; he's the father of my daughter and a good friend, but he has never been mine in any other way, Misses Hoult. What happened to get Jordan here was... an accident, nothing we had complete consciousness of what we were doing."

"You never told me that," Misses Hoult said.

"It's not something I'm proud of, much like I'm not proud of what I had to survive in Katterdam. I hurt and blackmailed a lot of people. I made a career out of making enemies in Kaz's name, which is the reason I don't think he's ever going to care about me in the way I care about him," Laura said. "I only brought trouble to him. Time and time again, I brought more and more trouble for him to resolve. I killed who I needed to kill, but sometimes one or two would slip away and my name got famous around... The Boog-Meisje, I know, there's no creativity there, but that was how people knew me."