Chapter One

HEARTBEAT

Laura had been pretending everything was alright for almost two months when she couldn't hold back anymore.

She had told everybody that Kaz had gone away for some time to get rid of some jobs that he had taken, not a lie, however she didn't say where he had gone too. It hurt to tell Jordan that her dada was away for some time, she cried and asked about him and Laura just didn't know what to tell her. Philip also missed Kaz, surprisingly, and had even cried when Laura said she didn't know when he was coming back; apparently, he had started to like Kaz more and more those last few weeks.

It had been on the third month things changed at once.

Mister Hoult was on the back and Misses Hoult had left for Katterdam for groceries, Philip was on school and Jordan was playing on the parlour, grabbing the sofa and standing, knees bouncing in excitement as Laura gave her encouraging words. Alone in the house, she hesitated when someone knocked on the door.

Jordan turned, interested.

Laura got up and got the shotgun from the very top of the cabinet, loaded it and then got to the door. She opened it just a little bit, but in the moment that she saw who was on the other side she felt like she was falling.

Spentch was a Dregs member and one of Kaz's most trusted men. If he was there, it was because he knew something and... something had happened to Kaz.

"Laura?!" he said surprised.

"Spentch," she greeted, stomach churning. "What happened? Where is he? What happened to Kaz? Who knows about us?"

He blinked, suddenly realizing her thoughts.

"Don't worry, he's alright. Everything is fine for now. He sent me with a letter, said you'd need to get this to let me see how his child is," he said.

He offered her a small piece of paper.

Grabbing it and opening it at once, she sighed in relief, though tears came to her eyes as her heart started to calm down. She chuckled with how dry their internal joke was; all Kaz had written was 'HEARTBEAT' as she had told him to do in her moment of anger. Of course, Kaz would be one to remember that and use that. In the very corner of the paper, there was a K and an R.

Kaz Rietveld. She had never seen him sign something with his old name before.

Spentch watched her with a small smile on her face that made her blush like a teenage girl being caught staring at her crush when she noticed. She blinked a few times and opened the door fully, unloading the gun.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude," she said. "Come on in,"

"Excuse me," said him, a bit awkward.

She led him to the parlour where Jordan had her hands against the wall beside the window, interested in something she saw outside as she usually did.

"His son?" he asked.

"His daughter," Laura corrected. "Spentch, meet Jordan," she said, walking to her and turning her to see the man, she picked her up and walked closer to him. "Jordan, meet Spentch, Dada's friend."

He couldn't hide his surprise. He couldn't decide if she was more similar to her mother or to her father; Jordan had managed to be a mix of both of them. The Shu eyes, both in shape and colour, and Laura's Ravkan nose, but her dark hair was as black as Kaz's even though she was still so young and her skin was lighter than Laura's, closer to Kaz's palette, though maybe a tone or so darker. Jordan smiled quickly, excited to meet someone else; she was so curious about everything and anyone!