Chapter Nine

VAN ECK HOUSE

Laura hated to admit it, but she had missed committing murder.

There was an adrenaline that she had never felt again after she had retired from the Dregs. The possibility of being caught dragging a corpse to the canals by the standwatch always made her giggle in delight and the hot blood soaking her clothes always made her sigh – she rarely killed from so close and when it did happen, it felt especial and more personal than any other death she had been responsible for.

Killing out of revenge, however, was new to her and there was an ecstasy that she had never felt before, not even under the strongest of drugs. It was a new type of high that didn't seem of end and, for a moment, she understood completely why Kaz was so thirty to milk his own revenge slowly.

It took her almost three hours to make Mister Hoult's heart stop beating and another hour to cut him in pieces with Kaz's and Jesper's help to throw him to the sharks, though the one that jumped into the boat to do so was Spencht and Pim, who were more than eager to pay their respects to the newly-returned Laura who was covered in blood with a smile on her face.

"Should I bring her some clothes?" Jesper asked Kaz as Laura washed her hands on the water from the docks.

"We might as well just walk back to the mansion," said Kaz. "Laura!" he called, making her stop and look over her shoulder to him, brown hair looking black under the shadows. "You'll get my coat and wear it."

"I'm not cold," she said.

"But you're ruddy," he said.

She looked down and nodded. She was indeed very bloody and her yellow shirt and black trousers certainly would go to the bin as soon as she could change them.

"Fine," she said, getting up from the ground and walking away from the water and towards him. "Give me."

"Wait a minute," he said, struggling to get it off.

Laura went behind him and helped him out of his coat.

"Try not undressing each other in front of us," Jesper teased.

Kaz glared at him, but didn't say anything else.

Matthias hid his smirk and shoved his hand on the back pockets of his trousers.

Laura put Kaz's coat on, quite happy that they were almost the same height, though she was a bit thinner, because the coat didn't look ridiculously big on her, it just looked a bit ill-fitted, but in general it looked like a coat she would have, therefore not bringing any attention the group walking side by side and talking as if they were just going back home after a night in a pub or something like that.

The walk back to the Van Eck Home was no longer than twenty minutes, but it was enough to make Kaz's knee start to hurt.

By the time the front door opened and Jesper walked in with a small skip on his step, Matthias was dragging his feet, tired and disgusted by what he had seen. Kaz was limping a bit more than usual, but he was hiding it pretty well, since the only people to notice were Inej and Laura, who exchanged looks, but didn't say anything. Laura, however, couldn't hide her smile or the adrenaline she still felt on her veins.

"Laura," Kaz said in a low voice, making her turn to him. "Misses Hoult knows, but Philip doesn't and he shall not know. We'll say his father disappeared and after a year he'll be given as dead, but nobody can know it you. I know he hates his father, but I doubt he'd be alright with you killing him."