《Christmas in New York》II

YEAR: 2024

Kate

I ran past the Stane Tower sign and up to the doors. I got out my lock pick and tried to pick the lock on the halls of residence but couldn't. I ditched my coat on the banister of the steps and stuck my quiver on and put my bow on my back.

I started to climb up the building. It was hard but once I got my footing it was easy.

After climbing the first bit of the building, as far up as I could, I switched over to some windows and continued climbing. I then reached somewhere, where I could access to get inside to reach the roof.

I got onto the roof and walked forwards. I dropped my quiver down beside me and I checked behind me to make sure no one was here. I got a call from Greer as I opened my bag of balls. I answered it and stuck it on speaker.

"Kate, be careful." Greer said over the phone. "If we get caught, you're definitely gonna be kicked off the archery team."

"Yeah, I know. But a bet's a bet, Green." I replied wanting to win the bet badly.

Getting tape for my fingers, I think of something.

"Okay, so the real question. Does the bell swing back and forth, or the dangly thingy in the middle swing back and forth?"

"It's obviously the bell." Franny says into Greer's phone.

"See? I would disagree." I say back, wrapping tape around my fingers. "I think it's the dangly thingy."

"Nice outfit by the way, Kate." Franny says.

"Yeah, well," I say grabbing my bow and an arrow with a tennis ball on the end of it. "Sometimes, you gotta dress the part."

"I know it's a bet," Greer says "but are you sure that arrow won't damage it?"

"No." I say and then release the arrow.

It soars through the air but bounces off the bell and onto somewhere on campus.

I scoff as Franny says "Well, that was a bit of a letdown."

"Okay, you know what," I say and reach down to grab another arrow. "Just hang on. Hang on."

"Let me just fix this. Give me a second." I say and I change the arrow head so then there's a tennis ball on the end with a different arrow head to the last.

I load the arrow and aim.

I release the arrow.

When it reaches the bell it clamps onto the rope because of the new arrow head.
I was right saying it was the dangly thingy in the middle that makes the bell ring and it was loud.

"O-O-Oh, my God! That was amazing! Wow!" I yelled while laughing.

"Nice, Kate." Greer says but I only just catch it.

I then heard something wrong with the bell. It was ringing deeper than it was before.

"That's fine." I say squinting at the bell tower. Then the bell dropped a bit in the tower. "Right? I mean, it gives it character. All famous bells have cracks in them."

To be fair I was growing more worried by the second.

The bell dropped a bit more.

"Alright, that's, uh, that's not great. But it could be worse."

Then the bell fully dropped. And the building went with it.

"This is bad."

Then a security guard went through the roof door.