XII

AUTHOR

eric ran off, blurry vision.

it hurt his pride, younghoon knew he liked jieun.

seeing them together made him scrunch up his nose while the tears fell. he hid in the garden and hoped no one saw him.

"every day, it's always jieun with the others... she doesn't like me." he told himself.

~

for the next few days, he avoided talking to younghoon or jieun.

even though it pained him to see her frown every time he walked passed her when she greeted him nicely, eric knew it was the only way he wouldn't burst out yelling.

younghoon and jieun were quick to notice this eventually talking to each other about the situation.

"eric isn't usually like this, he'd always come up to me in a great mood with energy." jieun affirmed. "i kind of miss that."

"do you think he saw us last thursday?" younghoon questioned, thinking back to the time when he excused himself with her.

"hm?" she perked her head up.

"silly, when i kissed your forehead." he reminded, a sudden switch turning on in jieuns mind when she knew.

"ah, that... maybe." then, the girl zoned out. "but why would he act up because of that?"

"maybe because he told me he likes you-" younghoon was fast to slap a hand over his mouth after spoiling too much.

"did you say something?" jieun asked, snapping out of her reverie.

"nope! nothing.. haha.." he sheepishly smiled and trailed his eyes to the floor.

"oh, okay!" she chuckled, "how about you clear things up with him? i'm not sure how to conversate about such topics.."

"sure thing, i'll get it all settled." he winked at her, letting the both of them burst out laughing.

younghoon left, but jieun wasn't excused just yet.

sunwoo swung and arm around her shoulders, startling her and himself.

"geez! you scared me, woo." she complained.

"you think you didn't scare me?!" he defended and surrendered.

"whatever woo, what do you need?" she asked, walking slowly with sunwoo.

"hmm, nothing." he chuckled, "eric and you have been so distant lately. what's going on in that little mind of yours?"

"i don't know either, woo." the girl sighed, "he's been avoiding talking to me or younghoon. it's odd because it feels so boring without him talking to me."

"don't worry jiji, he'll come back to you when younghoon hyung has everything settled with him." he stroked her hair.

"he's probably avoiding you cause he's jealous~ hm?~" sunwoo teasingly cooed.

"oh shut it, woo." jieun shuddered as a familiar warmth crept up her cheeks.

"just stating facts." he shrugged. "i'll get going now, you should too. lunch break is over in an hour and a half."

"that's enough time raccoon!" jieun whined.

"i have football practice, that's why i need to get going." he ruffled her hair and laughed, "quit whining, you're like a baby."

he pulled his arm away and bid goodbye.

jieun thought she could finally breathe, which she could a few seconds before jacob arrived.

"cob!!" she smiled and hugged him.

"always so excited to see me!" he hugged her back and laughed.

"duh, you're literally the best brother." she smiled, "don't tell jeff."

jacob chuckled and gave her a thumbs up.

they walked over to jieuns locker, a note slipping out of it, again.

"what a pleasant surprise." jacob laughed.

"again?.." the girl crouched down, picking up the letter and opened it, smiling at it.

'i've returned, surprise no?

bet you're curious about the initials, huh? welp, you've gotta find out by the end of this school year, and if ya don't, you'll never know who i am ;)
i still keep the same feelings for you.
we have to talk again, it's been a while, no?

~love, s.yj

Between the wind
Flying with you
Sitting on a soft cloud
Cuz you're a Butterfly
I can't describe
Is it still a dream or close my eyes again..'

she folded it, keeping it in the pocket of her blazer.

"you're keeping it?" her brother asked.

"duh, i wanna know who this person is. especially since i have to find out by the end of the year." jieun replied. "these are clues."

jacob nodded, althought he knew exactly who it was.

"he'd mentioned we haven't talked in a while.." jieuns lips formed a thin line as she started thinking.

"there are two people, youngjae and eric." she said.

jacob snorted, catching the attention of his younger sibling.

"what's so funny, cobcob?" the girl raised and eyebrow at her brother.

"nothing, just thought of something funny juyeon sent into the groupchat yesterday." he lied.

"what did he send?"

jacob panicked, but pulled out his phone and pulled up a message of juyeon, showing it to his sister.

"pfft, as if he could ever take care of a turtle."

"right?" he put his phone away and ruffled his sisters hair.

"what's with you all and messing with my hair?" jieun whined, fixing it in a blink.