Prologue Wandering

(Author's note: Hello everyone. I'm sure you must be wondering what I'm doing, posting this and instead of working on the other story. I'm doing this as a favor to a friend of mine, who told me his birthday is today. He originally made a request, something I couldn't do at the moment, so instead I wrote this. This was actually an idea I had a while ago and started writing it for fun and in my free time. Today, for him, I'm gonna post it because the main character is based off another from my friend's favorite game. Hope you like it, my friend.)

(3rd Pov)

Ruined. That word could be used to describe the state of the city was in. Tall buildings were still holding up, but looked like they could collapse any time while the streets below them were wrecked with debris all over it, making transportation by vehicle nearly impossible. It also wouldn't be recommended because it would attract the 'tools' to the reason why everything was how it is. 

The Punishing Virus. A mistake Humanity could never undo. A mistake because it originated from a failed product, a zero-point energy reactor, made by Humanity. Due to an explosion caused by an accident, the Virus was released and became air born, spreading rapidly until it consumed the planet, putting Humanity at the brink of extinction. When Humans come into contact with the Virus, it immediately attacks their cells causing them to break down and rapidly kill humans. Now, if the Virus consumed the planet, what happened to the Humans? Most of the population, the lucky or rich population, found safety in Babylonia. It was Humanity's last hope for sanctuary and any chance of comebacks. Specifically, it is a large structure that orbits just above the atmosphere, containing both civilians, government, and military. However, it does not contain all the remaining humans. Equal to the amount on Babylonia, the ones who couldn't live there, still remain on Earth in the forms of separate factions who held their power before and after the Viral outbreak, but there were also nomads. They were small groups who don't belong to any factions, they only wander and scavenge to survive in this apocalyptic world. 

As for the 'tools' of the Virus, they were called corrupted. Machines, created by Humanity to serve them, that came into contact with the Virus. Unlike Humans, the Virus attacks their logistic system, that gives them the ability to recognize and obey human authority, which reprograms them into mindless monsters with the sole purpose of destroying anything that shows signs of human conscious. These are the 'tools' That had a hand in the destruction of all the civilization humanity had made through the centuries.

It really did seem like it was the end, everyone thought so, but like history proving humanity's own wrongs, it also proved of how stubborn humans can be. Own thing led to another, and serums were created to fight off infection temporarily. Not only that, but the key to the counter attack was made.

The constructs. Human minds planted in mechanical bodies with built in resistance to the virus. It isn't that effective most of the time, but when having a human partner with them, a special system was made so that it was possible to prevent infection on both parties. Now, teams of constructs with a human, the commandant, lead the fight into taking back humanity's home.

Back to the first city, it was like all the others, ruined, but many corrupted roam it's lands as well. Under the night sky, corrupted marching or crawling all around, they clattered in groups to large hordes. Under a highway was no different. A gardener, a humanoid robot with a spinning blade attached to a rod in it's hand, was just walking around with it's weapon in hand, looking for anything that needs to be destroyed. It took one step forward-

*Slash**Hack**Clatter**Crumble*

-Only to soon fall to the ground in pieces. This alerted other corrupted nearby. The first corrupted to turn to it's fallen kind, was met with a large slab of metal to pierce it's face, then the weapon was pulled down, cutting the enemy in half. Following up the weapon and up the handle, the wielder is shown.